RAW 80cc 2 stroke performance upgrades

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

moosinatrix

Sep 2, 2009
Houston, TX
I just bought a RAW motor inc. 80cc 2 stroke kit and im wondering if i can get more power out of it for cheap. im not looking to do any internal work on it accept for maybe reeds. what i wanna know is how can i get 40-50 MPH outof it without the engine blowing up. main parts im interested in upgrading would be:
-Air filter
-Exhaust (looking for a tunable exhaust kit with expansion chamber)
-Carburetor (something that will give me power without changing the fuel economy too badly unless
it is improving it)
-Sprocket (comes with a 40t want something that will durastically change the top speed not too
worried about the torque loss but you can always help with the pedals but would like to retain
decent torque if not improve it.
-Reed Valves (not too concerned with them but would like to know if there was an upgrade the would
boost power)

If anyone could help my find someone who deals such part or make suggestion as to which parts to go with it would be greatly appreciated!

moosinatrix

Sep 2, 2009
Houston, TX
that defeats the purpose of having the coolest motorized bicycle.
And that does not pertain to the thread...
Now if anyone could tell me where to find power increasing parts for motors such as these please feel free to post.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
-Air filter - won't help a whole lot, we should have some in stock in a week or two.

-Exhaust (looking for a tunable exhaust kit with expansion chamber) This will make a huge improvement. In stock.

-Carburetor (something that will give me power without changing the fuel economy too badly unless
it is improving it)

On a budget? Not really. Fancy carbs don't help much IMHO. Take your time to dial the stock carb in.

-Sprocket (comes with a 40t want something that will durastically change the top speed not too
worried about the torque loss but you can always help with the pedals but would like to retain
decent torque if not improve it.

I guess. Gearing change won't help if the engine won't pull them.

-Reed Valves (not too concerned with them but would like to know if there was an upgrade the would
boost power)

This could help a lot. Build your own is about the only option right now. Then you could take better advantage of a fancy carb,

Have you ever gone 50 mph on a motorized bike? You haven't if somehow you think it's safe. I say stick with a bike setup the pulls HARD up to 40 mph. A 50 mph bike on the street just won't be ideal, safe or cheap. And probably illegal.

moosinatrix

Sep 2, 2009
Houston, TX
i like your pipe that you have i will prolly purchase one after i break in the engine so that i will be able to determine how much of an improvement is made.

And 50-ish was a bit much to ask, i was just wondering if it could be done and if there was a market for such inqueries.

and making the reed valves?? what would i make these out of and how would the valve improve performance??

also are there any alternative fueling methods that could increase output???

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
widening and straightening the ports will make more of a difference than you will get from reeds, and is completely free. there is a definite limit on how much porting you can do without raising the compression a significant amount though.
a dellorto 14/14 SHA (73.00 to your door) will make a big difference on a stock motor, but with extensive porting you will need the 16/16 SHA. a properly tuned carburetor will only use more fuel if the engine can use more air, which (of course) depents on port work, exhaust, etc.
the best thing you can do for these motors is a pipe. but, once again the pipe choice is drastically dependent on several other factors. what rpm do you want to make power, do you want peak hp or a broad powerband, what has been done to the motor, what carb?
for an engine that is so mechanically simple, 2 strokes are quite picky when you want to make the most of your displacement. for $450 i will sell you a complete new motor, including the carb and tuned pipe, that will make you crap your pants. clay 520-300-1700

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
that defeats the purpose of having the coolest motorized bicycle.
And that does not pertain to the thread...
Now if anyone could tell me where to find power increasing parts for motors such as these please feel free to post.
Don't be mean to Joe... He's the homie! (& he knows a lot more about these bikes than you do...) :D

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
To be honest...I'm not sure a bicycle can withstand going that fast......they're bicycles....not motorcycles.....not to mention....the brakes they have....even disc brakes....aint going to stop you in a panic.....and as far as MPG ?..100 MPG isn't good enough ?.....just my two cents...if you can find a bike that will withstand 50 MPH consistently let me know !

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
50 mph without blowing up? Buy a motorcycle.

Seriously.
+1 joe laff

In all honesty, if that's what ya want - it's not gonna be done on the cheap & easy. Were that the case - we'd all be on 'em.

But really, 25-30mph on a bike is a wonderful thing and that's stock depending on bike, motor, and weight. Anything beyond that is earned through time, effort, and defo some cashflow.

It seems there's this wall at about 35mph that no matter the effort and expenditure, these lil china motors jus can give no more. A lack of torque seems to be the culprit and even gears can only wheedle around that so much.

I'm no expert obv - but I have taken the time and effort to research the subject, this forum in particular. Joe defo knows wassup and if he just snorts and walks away - bet there's a reason why ;)

Last edited:

GNflyby

Jul 18, 2009
Bridgeport, Connecticut
I don't know... I've been on one of these things at 35mph and it was kinda scary, I couldn't imagine doing 50! Besides like someone mentioned, these are bicycles and were not really meant to do 40+ MPH never-mind 50! Just remember if you accomplish this, wear as much safety gear as you can carry, cause something tells me your gonna need it!!! Just my two cents.

BostonBiker

Sep 4, 2009
Boston
Any of you guys watch the tour de france? those guys bomb hills at 60+ mph... and theyre bikes DONT have motors, or disc brakes lol. just saying, it is possible, but like most of you said, no way in **** i would want to do that lol....

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Any of you guys watch the tour de france? those guys bomb hills at 60+ mph... and theyre bikes DONT have motors, or disc brakes lol. just saying, it is possible, but like most of you said, no way in **** i would want to do that lol....
The fastest I ever went on a bike was 47mph down a huge hill. You really need to be "slicked out" and hunker down. One of the most frightening experiences ever. I was afraid to touch the brakes.

I have no doubt if my engine was engaged it would have blown instantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.