European lightweight Motorized Bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Re: European lightweights

Last one for this afternoon, a Monark with 98 JLO.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK

There are a lot about, but overpriced for a friction drive I suspect because of the name. A similar and probably cheaper device was the Garelli Mosquito, and there are more of those around too.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

There are a lot about, but overpriced for a friction drive I suspect because of the name. A similar and probably cheaper device was the Garelli Mosquito, and there are more of those around too.
About how much do those Firefly's go for?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK

I can never understand why devices that were a sign of poverty, a black and white and dreary world, deprivation, in a nation still finding it's feet after a major war are so "valued". They were dreadful but necessary then, now they're just dreadful.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

I can never understand why devices that were a sign of poverty, a black and white and dreary world, deprivation, in a nation still finding it's feet after a major war are so "valued". They were dreadful but necessary then, now they're just dreadful.
I understand the sentiment. That's generally what americans thought about european life from that time period. We've never had much appreciation for minimalist existence. Our motorcycles are big. Our cars are big. Our houses are big. And I was always right there in the middle of that kind of thinking.

But somehow, motor bicycles caused a drastic change in my point of view. At least as far as riding is concerned. It's kind of woke me up to the fact that I don't need a big motorcycle to have fun riding. After riding for over 45 years, I now find myself having more fun with motor bicycles than I've been having with my motorcycles in the last 10 or 15 years.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK

I think at some point you become aware of what is important to you, and it has been a long time coming to me as well, that taking time to sniff the flowers, watch a river flow and shed the trappings of machismo and competitiveness bestow a calm and ease upon me.

I don't want 50mph, I can buy a 125 road bike for that. I want 15 and relaxation.

Reactions: joss and AdvenJack

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK

Incidentally, the black and white is not much of an exaggeration. Grey was a colour option on cars, and two tone grey and beige was considered the mark of an "unsound character".

Triumph cars even tried selling the Mayflower to America. I only ever saw black ones, and it was like looking at a funereal wardrobe.