Texas Riding Blog

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
If you live in Texas and want to start riding motor bicycles, or already are, check in here, and tell us about your riding experiences. Texas is very motor bicycle friendly.

I live in Dallas, and have been riding for over 2 1/2 years. I've never been hassled by the police for riding my motor bicycle on the streets, and when I have time I usually ride 30 miles at a time.

If you're close enough to ride with me let me know, and we'll have fun. There's getting to more and more of us everyday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Troy Boggs

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I have had good luck in Katy. I wear a helmet and stick to roads with a speed limit of 35mph or less. The sheriff has seen me riding on the street a few times and showed no interest.
If I do get a ticket, I will go to court and claim that my motorbike conforms to the "goped" statute.
By staying on roads limited to 35mph or less, I avoid the jurisdiction of the Dept of Public Safety.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I have had good luck in Katy. I wear a helmet and stick to roads with a speed limit of 35mph or less. The sheriff has seen me riding on the street a few times and showed no interest.
If I do get a ticket, I will go to court and claim that my motorbike conforms to the "goped" statute.
By staying on roads limited to 35mph or less, I avoid the jurisdiction of the Dept of Public Safety.
I'm glad to hear you're riding free in Katy. Sounds like you're getting the same treatment I am here in Dallas.

What kind of bike and motor do you have?

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
Hey Biknut!

This Texas forum thread is a great idea. I am just going through my list and checking it twice for my first build. I will start ordering parts soon and get out there on the road here in Texas.

I too have been an avid motorcyclist most of my adult life. This will be an interesting experiment. I can assure you that if I don't get harassed about it in Austin then it will be a miracle...lol.

I will not be going out of my way to look for trouble or be riding like some kind of moron with my hair on fire. I have learned in the short time I have been here however, that if a permit is required for breathing the downtown bicycle cops will surely check to see if you have one.

As I said, I am not looking for trouble but if I should find myself with a few tickets it will be an opportunity to set a legal precedent concerning motor assisted bicycles. The key seems to always be small details in the law as laws are very specific. I have mentioned it in another thread that although they may issue a citation for riding a "moped" illegally or some other "vehicle" they would have to prove that the motor assisted bicycle indeed falls into that "classification" and opinion can be varied pretty well concerning that and all that is required is 'reasonable doubt" on my part.

I will definitely keep tabs on your thread here and include my experiences when I get on the road (when the weather gets just a tad bit warmer...brrr)

~Scott

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I will definitely keep tabs on your thread here and include my experiences when I get on the road (when the weather gets just a tad bit warmer...brrr)

~Scott
Hi Scott, glad you're here. You can keep us up to date on the Austin area.

From what I've heard you should be fine riding your MB in Austin. Austin and San Antonio are the hot beds of motor Bicycledom in Texas.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Today we had 60 degrees and sun with no wind, so I decided all things considered the best thing for me to do would be play hooky from work and go on a 30 mile ride around town on my MB. If I've learned anything in life so far it's, a man had get his priorities straight. Besides I'm the boss so screw it.

It seemed like the time had come for me to ride into the lions mouth and see what happens. I rode from Farmers Branch to University Park, to Highland Park, to the Katy Trail. Down the Katy trail all the way to down town Dallas, and back up the Katy trail to Highland Park again.

Now I was at entrance to SMU, which is real close to the start of the Katy trail. If I thought it was risky to ride University Park, and Highland Park, the thought of riding into the jurisdiction of the SMU police seemed double risky. I figure the SMU police are so bored they'd probably pull me over just for the **** of it.

Well this is what happened. I rode all around Highland park and purposely did a drive by of the highland Park police station. Highland Park is probably the richest, and snootiest, and highest income city in all of Texas. You can get a ticket in highland Park just for driving while black. I figured it's a perfect place to test out a motor bicycle. Nuthin!!! I couldn't even get the police to notice me if I was on fire.

Next I hit the Katy trail. I didn't run my motor. Too many people. I just peddled the whole way. I passed a Dallas policeman on his bicycle riding the trail in the opposite direction, but he didn't pay any attention to me. I peddled the trail round trip from Highland Park, to down town, and back to Highland Park.

When I got back to the beginning of the trail I was less than 1/2 from SMU. I was thinking I better not go there because university cops are notorious for jacking with people, but then I decided I need to find out what will happen, so I rode right down the middle of the campus on the main thoroughfare, and then across some sidewalks under power and eventually out onto Hillcrest and into University Park. Nuthin!!!

From there I rode from one side side of University Park to the other, and directly past the University Park police station in the process, which is in the center of the town. Then about 6 more miles through North Dallas, and the last 3 miles in Farmers Branch.

This makes 9 out of the 10 city's in my riding range I've ridden in so far without any problems. I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that motor bicycle riders are good to go in Texas. I've lived and ridden motorcycles in Dallas for over 40 years, so I know very well where the most likely places are to expect trouble from the police.

The worst of all are,

Farmers Branch
Highland Park
Anywhere around White Rock Lake
University Park

I've now ridden all of these places without even getting so much as a dirty look. A Farmers Branch cop even waved at me. So far so good.

Well Brownsville has been good mb riding so far. Im new to this ive only had a mb for about 5weeks now, and I manly ride to work and back home, about a 4 mile round trip. Iv olny seen one other person with a mb besides me, have not met him yet. I think mb are great, i save so much gas and get to work just as quick or even quicker than in my car. Well like others i believe, my town is not so biker friendly, people are use to powering through the streets in there car. My bike is a scarped up frame fork and bars, put together with other parts I had laying around.

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
I like your bike. I am going to start building on a brand new one myself but I would almost prefer it to have that rat look here in Austin. Bike theft is rampid here in this little city. I am going to be sweating it whenever I can't keep my eye on it....locks etc don't seem to help. I guess the bike thieves around here carry battery powered sawzalls with diamond blades, they just cut and take whatever they feel like taking and the new shiny bike with a motor???? I wonder how many days I will manage to own it once it is built?

MountainMage

Jan 19, 2011
internets
Texas is the home of the players and pimps. Going to start my build today can't wait to hit the streets! I got the idea for a MB build after seeing one zoom by the main road infront of our house. I only got a 2 second look and I was instantly hooked!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Texas is the home of the players and pimps. Going to start my build today can't wait to hit the streets! I got the idea for a MB build after seeing one zoom by the main road infront of our house. I only got a 2 second look and I was instantly hooked!
What part of Texas are you in? Dallas I hope. Be sure and post a pic of your new ride when you get it going.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Not Far I'm over by the Speedway. My Fedex package left the Fort Worth facility at 7 30 this morning and I can't for the life of me figure out what is taking them so long! Come on now I have work to do, but I can't think straight till I get this thing lol
I know the feeling. Fedex always comes to my house last. What kind of motor are you getting?

MountainMage

Jan 19, 2011
internets
After much contemplation I decided to go with the Super Rat grubee 66cc. I really wanted a black motor, but the super rat looked cool so I went for it.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
After much contemplation I decided to go with the Super Rat grubee 66cc. I really wanted a black motor, but the super rat looked cool so I went for it.
Cool. And you've seen one motor bicycle near your house? Here in Dallas I've never seen one single one except mine.

stuffandstuff

Oct 11, 2010
Asheville
Very glad I found this blog! Im moving to Texas (College Station) very soon and was curious about the laws, and was hoping that I didnt have to give up riding my MB!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Very glad I found this blog! Im moving to Texas (College Station) very soon and was curious about the laws, and was hoping that I didnt have to give up riding my MB!
Hopefully your experience will be the same as mine, which has been totally trouble free so far. If there should be any problems please let us know about it. I'm sure we'll be able to help.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
We're all freezing our tukus's off around here. It's about 19 degrees right now and it's been cold for over a week.