NEW ENGINE PROBLEMS (starting and running)

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Sounds like you have the slide 180 out, take the breather off and make sure the slide is closing all the way if not the slide is in wrong.

sutton

May 26, 2011
Australia
Thanks greg. i had the cables adjusted to tight on the throttle grip and the top of the carby which had the slide up to high + i didnt have it in properly. i still have a problem with having the choke on and trying to accelerate and nothing happening and as soon as i pull the clutch in or slow down to stop it stalls. when the choke is off i can accelerate but it jerks the bike cause its cold and as soon as i pull the clutch in it dies aswell. is this normal

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
It may not on these carbs but it will on some m/c carbs, just was replying from what has happened to me in the past.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
If it has a CNS carb make sure the enrichener is seating all the way down. Make sure you don't have any intake leaks.

sutton

May 26, 2011
Australia
i changed the spark plug and i tried starting the bike with choke only partially closed also i wound the idle speed adjustment all the way in then back out 1 turn just to get me some where close to where it is and she runs fine, its a chinese carby and engine ( never again will i buy ) now my clutch slipping. i worked on this bike 10 times more then ive ridden it. thanks everyone for the help,

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
i changed the spark plug and i tried starting the bike with choke only partially closed also i wound the idle speed adjustment all the way in then back out 1 turn just to get me some where close to where it is and she runs fine, its a chinese carby and engine ( never again will i buy ) now my clutch slipping. i worked on this bike 10 times more then ive ridden it. thanks everyone for the help,
it's a learning experience for everyone.

get a picture of your carb so we can see if it's the CNS or the NT/SPEED carb. CNS is pron to so many problems it's not even funny.

ElPants21

May 29, 2011
United States
Hi, totally new to the forum here, my name is rob. just got my skyhawk 66cc installed yesterday afternoon with the CNS carb. me and my brother got it running for a few minutes and then we had to be some place so i threw it under a tarp (it was raining) i forgot to close the fuel petcock. so we get back a little later, and i go to take the bike out again. it starts and the engine goes for about a block then it dies and i cant seem to get it going again. any help is appreciated. thanks:-||

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
check your fuel cap, some do not vent good. If the street was wet did you seal the wires coming from the magneto with silicone? if not you may have got water inside at the coil area.

ElPants21

May 29, 2011
United States
theres no problem with getting fuel from the tank into the carb, (the hose is actually a bit leaky at the connections, zip tieing it later) and for the other part, no i didn't seal anything, that ignition box that mounts on the frame (thats the magneto right?) didn't look like there was really any way for water to get in, but again, i'm a noob to all this. i tried pulling the plug and leaving i connected to see if the engine had spark when it was turning and i couldn't see it. the connection from the plug to the coil wire is also kinda flimsy, can anyone recommend a good replacement? like, i was thinking of going to autozone and getting a new connector. i am NOT pedalling to work on tuesday, so im eager to put this behind me. if water got in the magneto can i just let it dry out? or do i need a new one?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
go to the classic threads section on the main page for firing trouble shooting tips, you can find answers to most here.