Build A Board Track Racer. With Frame From Worksman or Husky!

GoldenMotor.com

Build A Board Track Racer. With worksman or husky frame?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

• Other

• Other

• Other

• Other

• Total voters
Hey , I have one of the worksman frames and found it to be tough as nails. But then again so are some or most of the older original cruiser bikes like a 1953 Columbia tri star that I ride now. It has Worksman H/Duty clincher rims and 10 g spokes but the whole thing weighs about 2 tons. Its got to be the heaviest bike I've ever ridden. With tube and tire the front wheel alone weighs over 13 lbs. The bike came striped down to the frame at a yard sale for 20 bucks. I got the seat (rebuilt now) and the handelbars and the wrong wheels but ridable for the 20 so I'm not complaining. It's a good tough frame and is made to last. Well its 56 years old and my daily rider.....Tom

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
I think that the advantage of using a Husky frame is that you can buy "just a frame" from Husky whereas the Worksman (from what I've found) is only availible as a complete bicycle.

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
I know you are referring to a "tribute" bike but remember there are many factors that contribute to the right look other than welding in a loop. The wheelbase is one such factor.
In addition, we know DIY can save a bundle BUT if you built a tribute bike, I doubt any of us would give them up just for what we paid in materials/parts. That said, $900 would not be unreasonable if the important variables were built in.
JMO,
Dave
KC

cole2357

Jan 9, 2009
CT
The Deuce bikes look like pretty high quality work. Its a lot of cash, but the margin isn't THAT high, considering a lack of automation and he amount of hand work involved...With more realistic reproduction engines that look authentic 1910-20, I bet they could get a LOT more for them, especially if the top speed is increased.

I probably wouldn't pay it, after building my first, but for someone without any mechanic skills and the cash....Its less than a top end bicycle and way less than a low end motorcycle.

After seeing theier website, I would have guessed they were closer to 3K....

dv8cam

Dec 15, 2008
Los Angeles
Crazy Horse has been doing some research, and what I've found is some of us have been using the worksman industrial newspaper boy bike & some have been using the Husky industrial bike for our board track racer style tribute bikes.
Such as Deuce Motor Bicycles in Burien, Washington and another builder in California.
Deuce is very busy right now and will not have any bikes for sell anytime in the near future.
One of Deuce's builds a Cyclone board track racer was sold to a guy in Michigan June 2008 which is shown on Deuce's website of previous builds, his builds are amazing!
Deuce sell's his rolling chassis for $900 bucks ouch! Which includes frame, tank, forks, & clincher wheels.
Deuce sells complete bikes $1800.00 yes One Thousand Eight Hundred bucks + shipping from Washington State.
While expensive they have an authentic original look which derringer board trackers dont and those derringer bikes sell for about you ready $3800.00 bucks ouch ouch.
Builder in California who might sell tank & frames only under $500 bucks ouch again!
It appears that Deuce & California builder are using Worksman or Husky frames, looks like they remove the down tube which is tube from the head tube to the bottom bracket ( explanation for the newby ), then replace it with single loop tube giving frame board track racer look.
I myself have four current builds underway 1-Simpson Model 10, 1-Worksman Industrial Newspaperboy, & 2-Firebikes Board Track Racer's. I'll be using ezmotors on my builds with faux brackets to get more of vintage engine look.
Will post pic's as builds progress.
Peace Crazy Horse aka Crazy Indian Joe The Tower Crane Operator!
Can you please give us the name & contact info of the California builder? Anyone know who built this one?

Attachments

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
The builder of that bike is unknown. It (photo) was used to sell a bike that "Looked" or tried to look like that!! Didn't come close......

dv8cam

Dec 15, 2008
Los Angeles
The builder of that bike is unknown. It (photo) was used to sell a bike that "Looked" or tried to look like that!! Didn't come close......
Too bad because that is the best shaped loop adaptation to a worksman that i have seen on this board. Where you refering to your primer worksman btr? Why were you so unhappy with it?

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
I hate to dig up an old post but it is considered poor decorum to delete a comment that leaves further responses "hanging". In this case, I appear not only off topic but also to be ranting about nothing (not necessarily unlikely). Someone deleted their apparently controversial posts.
Hmph!
JMO,
Dave
KC

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
dmar thanks for the explanation as this thread is clearly muddled. on the other hand you guys introduced me to someone in my own back yard. Deuce motorbicycles. W/ all the m/c's in the garage and the m/c links I probably already know him if not we've certainly crossed paths. Seattles Vintage Bike scene is pretty tight. Very exciting! Thanks!

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
Cool! So what's happened to old Crazy Horse? He's deleted quite a few posts but is still a member.
Dave
KC