JackShaft Kit Compatible Bikes

GoldenMotor.com

bluck

May 2, 2016
California
I was looking into starting a new build on another bike and wanted a list of compatible Road/Mountain bikes that are stock(or require minimal[cheap] modifications to the rear shifting mechanism ie. not having to buy nuvinci hub) that can accommodate a jack shaft kit. I currently have a schwinn multi runner with a motor(if the jack shaft shift can be used on this then ill keep it). I would end up selling my whole motorized bicycle and getting a new motor, bike, and jack shaft kit. Thank you.

on a side note i plan to use my motorized bike to pedal on trails and use the motor to go to school as I currently do with my old schwinn motorized bike. Will the jack shaft kit make pedaling a nightmare, or keep it the same as when a motor is attached.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Shift kit? Those should fit on almost any bike. And pedaling it should be asier with the chainring freewheel.
Yep .....keep what ya got if it has a derailleur your good to go. Post a picture of your bike so we can give you a definite answer. I think you have to post a few time before you can post pictures.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Actually, the one thing we forgot is that it needs to have a 3 piece crank. I believe the kit allows you to convert it (as an add-on option) but most modern mountain bikes are already set up with one.

bluck

May 2, 2016
California
Ok thanks guys I will be adding a picture of the bike if it lets me in a bit. Let me know what you think not the best builder out there so any improvements/mods to the bike would be welcome, or anything that I should avoid due to my bike being older than me.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Hey as long as your havin fun...that's all that matters. If you do need the 3piece,I'm sure I can help with some of the parts.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Cool, that's the way to get it done! Your going to luv it...SBP guys will always help with any problem and they have downloads on how to install.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
So you will be getting rid of 3 front sprockets so your bike will be a 7 speed...maybe get a grip shifter and put it on left side of handlebars, it will be reversed but you'll get the hang of it. Also you will figure what rear gears you like for example start in first then skip to to third then go to fifth... Maybe 7 when you are cruising on a nice straight away with no need for torque. Them as you get into it you can change sprockets and even change the rear cluster to a 5 speed...1-3-5 shifting

bluck

May 2, 2016
California
Sounds good I always wondered if that was even possible to change the rear cassette since its an old bike i feel like most things are not compatible maybe its in my head. Sounds good too I tend to shift between just 5 gears anyways so that would be better ill first think of getting the shift kit. Thanks for the help thats all I needed to know!

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
The term "cassette" refers to a specific style of rear gears. Most don't actually have a cassette. The gear set can be changed if you want, but most require a park tool to remove without destroying it. If you don't care about it, a hammer and punch can remove the gears, bit it will destroy the freewheel.

bluck

May 2, 2016
California
I see now then I guess I would have to do with what I have. So changing the whole rim and getting a gear set would be a lot easier I don't mind destroying the gear set but I do mind destroying the freewheel I should keep it simple for now.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Well, the freewheel goes with the gear set. So you can pick one out and screw it on. No tools for installation necessary. Just by pedaling the freewheel tightens up.

I changed mine for a single speed bmx sprocket. I tapped the old one off (destroyed it) and twisted the new one on in like 2 minutes. Super easy.

bluck

May 2, 2016
California
Yeah I noticed how easy it was when I had to get a new rim for my rear wheel(rim was bent from a 4-5 foot fall and bike shop said it would not be repairable). I bought a new rim and had the guy install my cassette to my new rim for $5 and I saw how easy it was, learning one day at at time :D.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Sounds good I always wondered if that was even possible to change the rear cassette since its an old bike i feel like most things are not compatible maybe its in my head. Sounds good too I tend to shift between just 5 gears anyways so that would be better ill first think of getting the shift kit. Thanks for the help thats all I needed to know!
If you've got a solid rear axle, I believe your setup is called 7-speed freewheel. They're not compatible with 5-7-8-9-speed cassettes.

My advice to you is to gear your bike as low (numerically high) as possible. If you don't, you'll have problems mountain biking and climbing steep hills. You absolute NEED the 11t-34t gears on the rear axle.

I'd suggest you use a 10t engine and 22t left-side jackshaft. Then a 9t right-side jackshaft and a 45t sprocket at the bottom bracket. Use a 30t chain ring sprocket and the 11-34t at the rear axle.

In first gear, you'll have a ratio of 51.74:1. In 7th gear, your gear ratio will be 16.74:1. This is like having a 125-toothsingle-wheel sprocket in first gear and a 40-tooth single wheel sprocket in 7th gear.

I hope this helps.

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
I couldn't see it too well, but it looks like your rear tire might get in the way of the shaft. You must have at least 1.5" of space between your tire and your seat tube. The largest reason I used an older roadmaster for my build is because my Trek Marlin 5 doesn't even have a 3/4 inch space. Plus i don't want to scratch the paint on my $500 month old bike.