New high comp head!

GoldenMotor.com

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
Put a new head on my wife's bike, its a RSE high compression head from gasbike.net, my wife hasn't tried it yet because I installed it at 1am this morning but will try it this weekend to find out if it is better then the stock head. I will update later, as for now I just want to post pictures of the process of putting it on. Went ok other then the studs being short which I fixed in the process.

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
So after a bunch of problems after installing the high comp head it started running super rich. Not sure why. I ordered a new carb and redid the entire engine with its regular gaskets and RTV gasket maker to make sure it is extra sealed up. Reason I got a new carb was because I constantly kept changing the jets to lean it out and after awhile the gasket on the stock carb wore out. This whole time I think the head never sealed right because when I took it apart again there was oil everywhere around the gasket like it was blowing out. At least shes got a better carb then before and it matches the color of the bike.

Forgot to mention the nuts stripped off the studs holding on the exhaust as well, as you can see new American hardware there now by Hillman.

This was the first bike I ever built its going on 3-4 years old and is on its second engine. I noticed this time from taking everything apart the nuts and studs where stripping themselves. Even one of the studs that goes through the cylinder was stripped from the nut loosening. I got new hardware and got an old stud from a blown up engine to fit.

Here's some current pics of how I'm trying to fix this. Haven't seen if this will work yet will test tomorrow and follow up if I remember.

Last edited:

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
stripped studs and mounting studs and head cylinder studs and every bolt screw and.. are all part of the frustration you will experience making this is a hobby-- so enjoy the ride and use the tips you learn along the way...

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
I'm going to find the size of the studs going through the engine so I can use hex bolts, rather then studs and bolts would you happen to know the size?

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
Also I did get the bike back together with American hardware and it %&#@( fly's now. My wife is passing me with a big smile now lol.....

mobike91

Sep 14, 2010
lebanon, oregon
You should do a compression test and give us numbers on what you find for pressures, Iv been curious about that head for a while n wasn't sure if I should give it a shot or not. Also where did you get that pipe? I have one very similar to yours but it doesn't for my bike at all.

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
You should do a compression test and give us numbers on what you find for pressures, Iv been curious about that head for a while n wasn't sure if I should give it a shot or not. Also where did you get that pipe? I have one very similar to yours but it doesn't for my bike at all.
If I ever get my hands on a tester I'll update you with the psi. I got that exhaust from a member on here named Allen standley.

Feb 2, 2017
California
I hear those type of head design isn't efficient in cooling, causing the motor to run extra hot?! I don't know if it's true or not but just throwing it out there. BTW, how much improvement do you think it made in terms of more MPH?

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
No idea on mph gains maybe a couple mph? I had jetting issues with the bike at first. No over heating issues yet but I live in Maine and it's still cold about 40-50f atm. 60f on a lucky day. The head mostly made the bike more snappy the engine has always been fast but now once you crack the throttle it gets up there quickly. Needed to use that head design because of how the expansion chamber mounts up and goes directly over the head.