Bicycle registration loop hole

GoldenMotor.com

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
Many cities have it so a person can register their bicycle at the police department at no cost because of bicycle theft. I think it would be a good idea if someone registered their bicycle before they put the engine on it. That way they could have a better case of saying it is a bicycle.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
now that is a good idea sisdavid. that way if you do get pulled over and they say you need a sticker or whatever you can say i registered it show the paper and say you didn't relize you needed more. i think that way you would almost be guarenteed a warning the first time if the police offercer new the rules which from my experience they do not since these motorized bicycles are so rare. if they are not aware of the laws they will probably accept that and say have fun

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Good idea.....I am going to a police aution this Fri. where there are 125 bikes. All unclaimed/found/stolen.

If more people registered theirs, I wouldn't have any to buy...

But you are right, it may just be the ticket to avoiding a ticket.

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
Also, it is already registered as a bicycle, how could you register again as a moped or whatever. Can't be both has to be a pedal assisted bicycle. Alot of places give you a sticker and everything. Do not want to make a cops job easier. Would be in your best interest to do it, and be a lot harder for him to give you any kind of ticket. If he did give you a ticket you could say make sure it has my registration number just like a bicycle violator. Judge might just throw it out.

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
There is a national bicycle registration system called National Bike Registry at National Bike Registry - Prevent Theft: Register your bike in the NBR Database!. You just fill out the form of what make, model, what size frame, serial #, and it only costs $10 for 10 years. Police stations nationwide can access the system for free for cases of theft, unlike local bike registration at local police stations. They will send you a tamper proof sticker to put on the bike and also a certificate of registration that can be used for proof of ownership. I registered my bike and am waiting for my sticker in the mail.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
I live in San Diego, tried last year to register my bike as a bicycle before I put the motor on it. They DO have a requirement that bicycles be registered however, it was impossible to get it done.

One bicycle shop out of many I checked had the registration form but no stickers. They told me to check back in a couple weeks. 6 months went by and they still didn't have stickers. I went to the police department, they had no forms or stickers or any idea where to go to get it registered...