New Gas tank

GoldenMotor.com

Trae

Mar 21, 2009
Little Rock, AR
Got a gas tank on ebay. Its a bit bigger than I imagined but was the type I was looking for. If I can't make it work I'll probably use a round leather pouch with plastic tank inside. All I need now are my parts from Creative(intake, gasket, clam adapter, and sprocket) and I can finally get this on the road.

Clotho

May 25, 2008
I hope you can get that one to work. A metal tank is a better choice.

Everytime I see a tank mounted on the front of a bike it bothers me. What do you think will happen if you run into something? At least with a metal tank there is a better chance it won't leak even if it gets bashed up a bit.

I don't think a plastic tank in a leather bag would hold up as well.

If it were me I would try to find another spot for it all-together.

User kcmcf told us about this accident here See how the light on his handlebars is messed up?

Attachments

Last edited:

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
It will be awsome looking . Most any MB has the tank mounted somewhere that has the potential for danger in an impact . Just ride like everybody else out there is an idiot and you will reduce your risk . I would like to see a closeup of your seat mount if possible .

Clotho

May 25, 2008
It will be awsome looking . Most any MB has the tank mounted somewhere that has the potential for danger in an impact . Just ride like everybody else out there is an idiot and you will reduce your risk . I would like to see a closeup of your seat mount if possible .
You are correct that the risk is never eliminated but things can be done to reduce the risk further. Riding safely as you suggest is a great place to start. Still, common sense should tell you that there is a better solution than mounting the tank up front where it is the most vulnerable.

In truth the single thing we can probably do that would have the biggest chance of improving our own safety is wearing a helmet.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I'd never give any thought to what direction I might be hit to position my tank...remember the Ford Pinto...tank was in the back where it was safe LOL