New HD wheel regular sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

calvynandhobbs

Aug 28, 2008
Ledyard, CT
I'm still really new to this whole thing. I bought a pair of heavy duty 12g spoked wheels and the rear is a coaster brake type. The standard bicycle sprocket is not on it and I can't figure out how to get that metal ring on there to mount it. Is there a trick to getting that small sprocket on with the metal o-ring? Please enlighten me.

calvynandhobbs

Aug 28, 2008
Ledyard, CT
I think what you are asking is how to install the snap-ring? here is a video of installing it.

Just start with one end (where it splits) in the groove and work your way around. As you can see I just used my fingers but you could also use a screwdriver or something. I find it easier just to use my fingers.

sprocket snap ring video pictures by FR31MB - Photobucket
You make that look easy. I tried doing that last night and could not get it to budge. I don't think the snap ring they gave me has a split in it at all. I'll play with it tonight. I'm getting everything ready for when my hub sprocket adaptor comes in from Maniac Mechanic next week. After bending and breaking spokes in my rear wheel for the 3rd time I'm going with heavier gage spokes and the hub adaptor so I shouldn't have any further problems.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
It should have a split in it, I've done it so many times, and that one has been off and on a few times so that makes it easier. Once you do it a few times you get better at it.

calvynandhobbs

Aug 28, 2008
Ledyard, CT
It took me about 2 minutes tonight to get the ring on. There was a split, but it wasn't cut all the way through. I twisted it to snap it all the way through and it went on without a problem.