Today I went to the SOS of Michigan

GoldenMotor.com

mikecrts

Jun 15, 2009
Vandalia, Michigan
I came home with my level 1 learners permit, a moped license, a registration, and my sticker for the MB. It was much simpler than I would have imagined I went and registered my MB as a moped. Im pleased with how smooth it all went. I have all the needed things to make it streetable so thats what I did. Now I just need to finish putting it all together and Ill snap a few pictures. BTW. its a Diamondback Sorrento with the "Jet Stealth 80cc" motor form zoombicycles.

mikecrts

Jun 15, 2009
Vandalia, Michigan
Good to hear!

I'm from Edwardsburg originally- I know your neck of the woods. Have fun motoring around Cass County.
Thanks. DId you go to school in Edwardsburg? I go to school over in constantine. Yeah, the 5.0 out here isn't seen much but when they are they are either cool or just down right horrible pull laws out of there ass. Thats the main reason why I registered it all up, and thanks too bigdreamz2000 for telling me how he registered his in MI.

bigdreamz2000

Oct 8, 2008
Michigan
No problem, the more of us the better. After adding all these chinese lights I'm a little worried how they'd do if I got caught in an unexpected rain shower. In fact I wonder if these bikes crap out electrically if driven in the rain. I may start a thread in General discussion, hop in if you're interested.

Dizzy

Jul 6, 2009
Jackson, Mi
Hmmm... thats kinda wierd I've taken my MB to 2 Michigan SOS, and both of them didn't have a freakin clue as what to do and eventually concluded that it didn't have to be registered. (I literally brought the bike into the SOS office to show them), in Jackson county. When I asked to have something in writing stating that the office could not register the MB they just gave me a bunch of pamphlets on what mopeds are.

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
usflgthere is a tread here about riding your bike on the rain what i did with mine i put silicone on the cdi unit where the spark plug wire goes in and put silicone on the bottom of the magneto where the wires comes out just make sure you check your bike the next day after you have riden on the rain

RPM

Jun 7, 2009
Michigan
Hey Dizzy,

I hear ya. I went to the SOS in May of 2009 and they said the same thing.

The lady that works there Renee, even went as far as giving me a piece of paper with a phone number on it and saying 'here, you call them, its a toll free number'.

Can you believe that! Imagine a cop or judge handing you a piece of paper saying ' here, you call them, its a toll free number.' I don't know a thing about the law as it pertains to what you are asking me. Your dismissed.

Not much professionalism shown here when it comes to these people.

As a police officer, judge or representative of the state's governmental system there isn't a question that would come up as it pertains to their jobs that they should not be able to answer. This isn't the first time I've come across this issue on a forum.

Kinda reminds me of when I was in college and this guy show's up in psychology class dressed in a cop uniform. Turns out he was a student. I saw him one other time during the whole semester.

Our final exam turned out to be an 'OPEN BOOK' exam. We all know what that is. The instructor said he wanted to pass everyone. Well, it turned out he did except the wanna be cop. Seems he was trying to intimidate the instructor with his new found look insisting that he needed to pass this course in order to graduate this year and become a cop.

Maybe if he would have shown up for class more than once and actually read through the book he would have known where to look for the answers.

One of my best friends is a cop and lawyer. We can be thankful they're not all representative of what these other people are.

RPM

bigdreamz2000

Oct 8, 2008
Michigan
It can be done, get the lights and you're a moped. No lights and you're an illegal unregistered moped. You have to go in there armed to the teeth with answers to all their questions. Say everything start to finish without pause. Start out with a little comment like "sorry about the furlow days I know you're under a lot of stress right now, I have created an assembled vehicle, a moped, I'd like to register it." "It has all the components and specs of a moped, the VIN (bike serial#) is ________" "I purchased the motor online and still need to pay tax for the motor, please add that to my $15 registration fee." "I understand this is not your everyday transaction." If they still balk, ask to see a manager and get an explanation in writing why they are refusing your moped sticker. If they won't do that ask for an employee number. They usually will give in then. More trouble than it is worth. Report back everything, good luck. It is not always easy to be the first, but remember you are making it easier or harder for the next guy so do your best.

Dizzy

Jul 6, 2009
Jackson, Mi
Even still what kinda sux is that I can't get a moped liscence here in michigan because my regular liscence is suspended, So I was kinda enjoying the fact that I've been told twice that it can't be registered.....oh well, I've passed quite a few cops and I don't think they either notice that it has a motor, or they don't care. Regardless I only drive it between 15 and 19 mph, I've gotten her up to 37.1 mph, but I just prefer to take it easy on the engine and enjoy the ride, I figure that way the engine will last longer and I'm going under 20 mph so it doesn't look like an abnormal speed for a bike.