Bicycle Auctions?

GoldenMotor.com

What is the best place to find bikes to put Kits on?

• Regular bike shops, online and local

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Large stores, like Target and Wal*Mart

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Individuals, through Ebay or Craigslist

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Auctions (please comment with details)

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other Sources (please comment with details)

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

Boredomfiend

Jun 8, 2009
Long Beach, CA
I dont care if it is surplus from a factory or retail store, seized bikes from colleges, seized by police, if anyone knows sources for Auctions that include bicycles (lots of them, not just one here or there) I would really appreciate the information.

I'm trying to find a good bike to put my kit on, without paying a couple hundred dollars.

Anyone have information regarding auctions, or even just leads?

Please reply!

TheDave

.shft.

Boredomfiend

Jun 8, 2009
Long Beach, CA
I've already been looking through CL quite a bit, not finding much good stuff. I'm trying to limit my budget to $100 per bike since I sell the MoPeds for so cheap, which is why I'm looking for auctions. I saw a perfect bike earlier. Perfect condition, glossy black cruiser with a couple gears and hand-brakes, priced at $100... but it sold 20 minutes before I saw the ad. The guy said he buys the bikes at auctions but of course wouldnt tell me how to find them or where he goes.

My understanding is that if you turn a pedal-brake cruiser into a free-wheel and try to add hand-brakes, it either wont work, or it wont work well. Either way I've been advised not to try it.

Dave

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Craigslist is the only place I buy bikes these days. In fact I just bought one today for my son. $120 13" Specialized Hardrock. Wife's bike was $150 15" Women's Specialized Rock Hopper. I figure why spend $200 from Walmart or Target when you can get a used quality at a cheaper price. I also bought my GT LTS on CL.
My Brother in Law works at Stanford University and every year after school is done. The Seniors have a tradition, they leave there bikes on campus. The school breaks the locks and sells them for $35 ea. Some are really good but most are beat up bikes.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I went to a auction about 3-4 weeks ago.

I got a Raleigh SC30 and a Specialized Rockhopper A1 FS comp, a yellow Mt. Bike (do not know what it was) a 24" Roadmaster Mt. Furry, a little girls Cinderella bike, a 16" Moongoose BMX, and Silver Fox Fatboy 20" BMX.

It was my first auction, and I saw the Rockhopper and knew I had to have it. The auction started but me and my buddy was outside looking at other stuff and when I came into the building they already had the auction for the lot that the Rockhopper was in.

After the auction, I asked what they did with the stuff that no one bid on. They said they save it for another time or will take $2..... I got it all for $2

And just as we were leaving a guy offered $20 for the yellow Mt. Bike, so I made $18

The 16" BMX Mongoose has already been given to a neighbors son.

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Oh, and the Rockhooper is like a 19 or 20" frame, I already have wheels on it and being 5'6 the dang thing is too big for me which sucks because I was planing on turning it into a Death Racer bike and was hoping for a Morini motor with any luck so I can give Easy Rider a run for his money in the next Death Race.

But, I guess I will have to come up with something else.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I was planing on turning it into a Death Racer bike and was hoping for a Morini motor with any luck so I can give Easy Rider a run for his money in the next Death Race.

But, I guess I will have to come up with something else.
Be ready Brother because I've started saving my pennies for the 2010 race. brnot
...Just don't open the crate before I get there. Did I forget to mention I'm having my bike shipped to your place! LOL
I think I'm coming alone next year via plane!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I have had very good luck on craigslist. I bought a drum brake front wheel for $25. Worked great after a little grease and chrome polish. (It's the front wheel in my Avatar)
As far as complete bikes, I bought a Diamondback Voyager and a Western Flyer cruiser frame.
I have had good luck on EBay, but I buy smaller parts there due to shipping costs.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Where did you go? How did you find the auction initially? Was it a police auction, school, or other? I'm glad to hear a success-story, but c'mon man I need details on how to find 'em! :-||
It was a U of A auction, I check several auctions every week

City of Tucson Public Surplus: Government Surplus Auctions

Pima County Public Surplus: Government Surplus Auctions

Sherriffs dept .. I check local newspaper

U of A https://uaauctions.arizona.edu/public.aspx

Tucson Electric Power https://www.tep.com/auction/index.php

Government liquidations ( select your state ) Government Surplus Auctions at Government Liquidation

Search online and your newspaper for auction in your area

p_lewis1016

Jun 5, 2009
Leavenworth kansas
I buy old bikes from thrift stores and stuff for anywhere from $10 to $20 dollars, most of them are REALLY OLD, need to be cleaned and re-greased but after that they usually only need brake pads and tires. These old bikes have much better welds and are made with better steel, so the tubing isn't as thick as it is now, which is what these motor kits are made for. they also usually come with cool extras like baskets, fenders, and other stuff. I got one for 20 bucks that had a speedo, back rack, side basket, headlight and generator, and fenders. all working and looking great, to buy that and put on another bike would have cost me 5 times what I paid for the bike :)

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
I usually don't see many auctions with a lot of bikes (except the Copake Auction), but using Auctionzip.com might help. You plug in your zip code, search keyword "bicycle" (or "bike") and it'll show what auctions list bikes in your area.
Other good places to check are thrift shops like Goodwill or Salvation Army stores.