Water Cooling?

GoldenMotor.com

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
Ok fellas here's the deal.
I bought my engine just before this winter and its run great every time ive had a chance to ride it. After getting home for summer ive been riding it in the higher temperatures and ive noticed a huge decrease in performance.
Basically, my engine runs great for the first 3/4 of a mile or so under wide open throttle. After that, if i dont cut back on the throttle it seeems to lose most of its torque. With varying throttle positions i can still open it up every once in a while to get a good burst of speed, but constant cruising above 30 is not an option right now. Also, when going up long gradual hills ive noticed that my engine becomes rediculously sluggish, even after getting back to flat ground.
I've decided that the problem is that the crank case of my motor is getting too hot. This makes the intake air too hot preventing my engine from breathing enough O2.

If someone could verify this that would be great.

If this is correct, my proposed solution is to completely seal off the cooling fins on the bottom half of the jug with a tire inner tube and to connect them in such a way that i can pump water (coolant) through them and then through a small radiator to allow my crank case to stay cool and my intake charges dense.

If i had a metal lathe I really wanted to make a water cooled head too...but i dont.

I will probably try it either way but let me know your thoughts.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Some very cool thoughts Prasinos. I have noticed that china girls do prefer colder weather but nothing very profound. Just a slight decrease in power and speed. (funny thing is my 4 smoker gets stronger after it is hot, not just warmed up)

I have a thought of a sort of redneck cooling system for a 2 stroke. Like a drip coffee maker, use heat from the engine to circulate water threw copper tubing wraped around the jug. I have no idea if it would work but would be kinda cool looking and would be self regulating as the water would not move until the engine got hot and easily detached in winter.

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
you could use copper tubing wrapped around the block between the fins connected to a small radiator,but what to use for a pump and would you need one for circulation.
or you could add cooling fans on the head,but that would probally only help at idle.
or you could make a cold forced air aluminum intake pipe like i did.
your air filter is probally getting blocked and it cant breath.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
How old is the fuel you are using? Its only really good stored for a couple of weaks. Then the older fuel looses performance. Just reaching here hope that helps Thats the case?

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
The gas i have is pretty new...

My plan is to seal off the bottom 5 cooling fins with an inner tube wrapped tightly around the fins. Il add a divider going all the way to the block around the fins traveling perpindicular to them. Il then use some tubing to connect the sectioned off peices in series. A buddy of mine works on porshes and he said hed look out for a leaky radiator going to the junkyard. Il cut out a small peice, around 5x5 inches, and connect the tubes with tubing of my own. My grandpa just gave me a submergable water pump that runs on 110, so im goigng to try to replace its motor with one i found in a dumpster for a dust buster. this way the coolant comes in direct contact with the engine block and i dont have to worry about bending any copper tubing perfectly.

If it all works i can make a voltage regulator to run the pump off the motors white wire.

Anyway its a pretty large power decrease when my engine gets hot, so if this works it would be great. Im visiting the grandparents int San Diego right now so il let you guys know how this goes next week some time.

Still thought does anyone know if its the heating of the crank case or the head that decreases the performance the most?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Ok Does the engine cut out or bog down? Fuel starvation is what I am thinking? Is the screen in the tank plugged up? They fall apart easily too . When they do then the petcock plugs up easily. Did you put a a different air filter on? A restrictive air filter diminishes performance A 2 stroke really like to breath.

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
It doesent cut out and it doesent really bog down, i just has very little torque after being run hard, especially at lower speeds(going up hills). The time it runs its best is about 30 seconds after being started, i figure this is when the engine has warmed up but the crank case is still cool enough.

My air filter is for a 6 hp lawnmower, so i dont see that being an issue.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Water cooling the heads on engines is a specific design I think warping the jug is emanate on these chinas! I could be wrong.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Try if once without the filter on? Just for kicks. The lawn mower filter is a dence sponge. I resulted on mine using layers of panty hose. Got a lot more RPMs and power. I started out on one of my first builds with a mop and glow sponge cut to size on my very first china . When I finally learned this. The bike when cold needed the richer fuel so it ran pretty well. When warmed up it did the same thing you are describing!

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
run an alcohol injection setup.. a #63 Holley carb jet spraying right into the intake stream would do nicely.. would have to mix the oil a tiny richer for it to be ok on the engine... a windshield washer pump and a small resivore would work.. would need a small 12v battery but anything used for lighting would work.. just switch it on when it gets sluggish and it'll cool the intake charge