springer install ?

GoldenMotor.com

Ravenshurst

Oct 8, 2008
Tucson
Hi all: I am installing a springer on a bike, and I have run into a snag...the stem on the fork is several inches longer than the stem on the frame. The threads go down far enough to cut off the fork stem and still install it properly, but I can't figure out how to move the upper spring bracket down far enough. I am sure all of these terms are wrong, and as I am the last person on earth that doesn't have a camera on my cell I can't post a pic...this is a standard springer (what would have been called a girder on a motorcycle when I was younger) with a horizontal spring at the top. How can I slide that upper bracket down the stem far enough to mount this? Thanks.

Ride safe

Gonzo

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
Last edited:

Ravenshurst

Oct 8, 2008
Tucson
RB: Thanx for the advice. This bike is or my biz partner, and what we are thinking about is just adding a pc. of pipe with the right inside & outside diameter to use as a spacer. There is about 3 inches of space. What I want to do is split the difference, & add a pipe/spcer to both the top & bottom. This will extend the fork by about an inch and a half, but Pat's a pretty big guy, so I don't see a problem. Thanx again for the advice.

Ride safe!!

Gonzo

eisle89

Jun 16, 2008
El Paso, Texas
I pulled the bolt and spring off, slid the spring spacer on, tightened the headset down enough to seat everything then measured it off