Sturgis anyone?

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Funny but I haven't heard anyone here mention Sturgis. Is anyone planning to take a motorbike to the biggest biker gathering in the world? I work with a guy who goes every year and he said today that I should plan to go this year. I wouldn't consider riding up there from Denver but I could throw the Jaguar in the back of my pickup for the trip up and back. No real plans to do it but it is an interesting idea. Just wondering.
Tom

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Sturgis might be dangerous for guys like us. We should try to come up with our own version of "Sturgis". Better yet, we could do a Sturgis-like event in each state (where it's legal) since our machines are a bit short on range.
The ultimate for me would be a "Fat Tire-esque" festival for motorized bikes.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Wheelbender has an idea here. An annual motorbike rally. What if it moved around from state to state every year so everyone would have the opportunity to attend an event? The National Steet Rod Association, (NSRA) does something like this. There are a number, I think about ten, local events around the country then the one big National event at the end of the summer. The Goodguys also do this; several events located at major cities in several states. I'd be willing to be active in the planning of something like this, especially for the Colorado community. Anyone else up for exploring the possibilities? Dan? You have some experience in organizing a get together. Can you offer any advice?
Tom

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
That is a much better idea. While most bikers get a kick out of our rides all it takes is one group of Banditos or Pagans to make somebody's life very unpleasant or short.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I have friends who are members of the outlaw clubs they all liked my bikes and I'll bet some out there have a motorized bicycle. Most of the guys think these bikes are hard to ride?
I'd like to attend a engine assisted bicycle rally it would be fun.
Now that I'm retired I thinking of attending Sturgis I went in 2006 had a good time My in laws live about 4 blocks from the civic center in Rapid City so if I over indulged I could walk/crawl home, my knees would get sore! There's been motorized bicycles at Sturgis before so its not new.
Red River in New Mexico is this week end its supposed to rain so being a woose I think I'll stay home I hate cleaning all that darn chrome after it gets dirty can't get the ol Snake to help.
My brother in law lives in Hooper, Co. he was hoping I'd come up and go with him to the rally we just got home from Pueblo yesterday, so I'd be right back there on the Harley too much travel and too little time I still wish I could go Ilikea won't he said it snowed the last time he went.
I've went over La Vitea pass in the snow on the Harley it was a little cool and slick but we made it ok.
The gas prices are climbing again it went up at least $.10 to $.20 cents in 3 days. You can't blame me now for the price jumps I don't work in the oilfield anymore!
So you guys think of a place to hold a Rally, I'll see if I can be there! What about Pampa,Texas?
Bring sun screen, look out for storms! New motels going in right now. Lots of Mexican food here too.
Norman

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Did someone say, "Mexican Food" ? Count me in, but you know, we have a few Mexican food resturants here in Denver too, and I know where most of them are. Say, haven't I seen the Mexican Food discussion here before? Everytime someone mentions it we get off topic. Must be a biker thing.
Back to Sturgis: The guy who asked me if I was going said there are MBs up there and has been for several years running. I'm with Norm; I think our bikes would be well received by the majority. Don't think I'll go this year but if anyone does...take pictures!
Tom

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Say what was the date on that? I am in albuquerque. Might be cool to go to ! Wounder what they would think of my well ridden ugly rat bike. It has SBP tuned pipe on it now. Runs quit strong for being an 80 pound bike with a 250 pound rider me at six foot tall 11 inch. Gets to 30 in a neighborhood block if shifted right , and fresh gas. I got the slant head on it now to. Also have Norms lights! The skull band matches the bars rather well.Last I put a prettier air filter on it. I should prob take a new pict. I might in a minute.

Attachments

Last edited:

butchatron

Jul 22, 2009
kentucky
Sturgis would be great! Don't know about riding that far tho. Times not a problem since I don't work, but it would be a long haul and it would really REALLY suck if I had a break down. I know what you're thinking "just drive with the bike in the back" but that's not an option for me. Plus I think it would be a bast to ride all the way! Maybe pack as many tools and 'oh sh*t' parts as I can carry...I do plan to travel with my bike, for sure. My first plan is to head to Myrtle Beach bike week next year, that's about a days ride from where I live, but I figure Sturgis is about 2-3 days away, so maybe I'll try it in 2012, when I'm more 'road hardend'.