Simpsonmotorbikes next project

GoldenMotor.com

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi all, I am hoping to get this bike re-configured this week-end for an upcoming show. This is NOT the Red 09 with the white tires, this is another Prototype.

Mike

Attachments

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Is this a different frame than what was in the other thread ? It looks like the front forks
are raked out further ?

I think you'll do good with it as it does look like some of the old vintage boardtrackers
and could be dressed up like regular motorcycles of the times too.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi all, sorry to be so late back to this. I am very busy with a schedule that is not very well thought out apparently.

I need this bike up for a show next week, and so here goes?

This is my original prototype bike from several years ago, it had some terrible front-end problems due to a misunderstanding at the Bicycle Factory. It had almost no rake, because he ordinarily built BMX bikes, and that is how they are.

This bike went back into the shop to be chopped twice, and at the second chopping I had asked for a bit too much rake (it does give it a mean look tho, doesn't it?). When I got it back, I assembled it rode it a mile or two, and 2 days later it went off to another shop to be a pattern for the Model 10 Racer.
Did anyone notice the cool Bungee cord Drop Stand Holder I made? This was actually the first day that this bike was back from "surgery" re-assembled and back from her first ride.

This bike IS low!

A long time passes with old Number 8 sitting in the shed, disassembled, and forlorn. I shot it with a phosphatizing flat black primer, and will be loading an EZ Bike kit into it today for initial fit. It has been an unwelcome challenge finding the parts that once were this proud bike!.

I am unsure of the wheelset that I will use, I have 117's with Sturmey drum and Shimano coaster, Used Worksman 129's with thier drum and Shimano, Grube Drum with 105's (last choice will sell these cheap!) and some other stuff out near what I call "The Wall of Shame".

I had wanted to go belt-drive on this bike, and might, tho I lack the pulley that I want for the task, so it will probably reincarnate this first time as a chain-drive bike.

Here is a pic in the shape it was when I was riding it originally. I took this pic near the end of it's first life. Compare that to this one.

Mike

Attachments

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Simpsonmotorbikes next project Day 2

Hi all, well under tool-bags, scrap iron, cardboard boxes and flotsam and jetsam I found most of the pieces of the Model 08. The things I could not find I either dummied up, or made outta junk!

I spent the time I had available, after going to Vegetable and fruit at Flea Market, and Tractor Supply. It was warm and I seem tired, but on I trudged!

I still have some stuff to do, I used a variety of "homemade" tools including when I bent the left pedal crank, I could not find a pipe, so I used an old bumper lack to slip over as a lever, that thing is CLUMSY!

I made a manifold out of a two-stroke pipe, and a piece of pipe for diameter, a seatpost is the tip. You MAY be able to identify the exhaust clamps? I found my axle adjusters, bobbed a fender that was smashed flat on the ducktail, the old brace would not work, and I need to cut, and drill this one as I do not like them on the axle, I like the brace on the dropout.

Here are the pics form build day 2, and, I admit, if I had stayed home and worked all day, I would have ridden it today. BUT I did fire the engine tonite!

Thanks Bill, I designed that springer, BUT I need to adlust it so that the rocker is just a bit above level. Yes Bill this bike is a couple inches lower than the Red 09.

Thanks Lenny, my wife seems to like it too!

Dan, I was learning at this time. Rake is 26 degrees, it should have been right around 22, but, this was how I learned, and it does "Flop" a bit

eDJ the rake is a bit more than it should be, but id looks kinda "Mean" this way?

Mike

Attachments

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
As usual, great work! Some people just have an eye for what looks right- and you are clearly one of them....and plans to make that cover look...well ....less.....plastic?

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
I am not sure why people are not liking the cover? To make the same thing from any metal would be much louder just from minimal vibrations. The material is strong and looks like it will serve well as a cover even in the desert where I live. One of the beauties of this kit is the quiet and clean aspects to the drive system.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
For pure function, can't be beat. I'm sure. But Mike's bike is about a lot more than function. I said "look" less plastic. Grain can be smoothed out and it could be painted to mimic metal. A black plastic cover, in my opinion- and opinions are like...you know... is that it will draw attentiona away from an excellent, vintage bike if it is not blended in.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi Max, the frame fork and tanks are my own design, drawn from the Glory Days of the American Motorcycle. I then, with the help of a few others along the way, re-engineered the fabrication aspects, because in the day, they bought "fixtures" that they brazed straight, bent, or curved tubes into, we did not have that luxury. Harley and others also bought spring forks, and other things they needed.

The tanks are built to the specs needed to fill the frame, when Aaron chopped the Model 08 prototype, re-raking the front end, and lowering the bike 3" he also built me a new tank to fit the modified opening. When Aaron had the metal work done, then Al would tig-weld the whole thing as laid out.

I use a lot of Worksman drums, and lately have had low braking capacity, which I now believe to be a result of the brake cable (bicycle type) being too "soft" and having too much stretch, and maybe the sheathing collapsing some under the tension of applying that large brake. I don't know where Worksman gets thier brakes, the coasters as Shimano.

We ran into this problem when converting the Whizzer from the contracting band, to the 2-shoe expanding upgrade. The heavier cable was supplied, but I "Just had to try" using the exsisting cable, and failed to get it to work properly.

Mike

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I email Worksman and here is what they had to say "Both use Shimano E110 CB
As for front drum they are a Eurpean brand from the moped industry." How about a Sturmey Archer dyno hub? I'm looking to do a build on a worksman and would like to find a tank to put in the frame. can anyone think of a way to do it without welding or sheet metal skills?