Build your own springer fork!

GoldenMotor.com

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Found this link tonight.. really good tutorial on how to build your own springer fork for a bike! This one focuses on a build for a chopper, but could work for any bike. Best part is that it can easily be built to handle the stress of a motored bike.

brainfork

.trk

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
When we talk about springer front forks, there's always the question about what
springs. Yeah we can use valve springs off cylinder heads or go to the hardware
store and find some cadnium plated things from their assortment to build with.

Neat forks hugh ?

But the springs on these double acting springer forks will likely be "compression" springs
which have space between the coils.

Check this link out which explains coil springs.

Compression Spring Calculator - Engineers Edge

This link is to a supplier who can make custom stuff.

W.B. Jones Spring Company:springs manufacturer, coil, compression, torsion, extension springs

Look at springer forks like the Monark bicycle forks which use tapered ends and some
others where the coil spring has somewhat a barrel profile. The springs will be part of the eye
appeal and a focus area to the look of the forkset. Consider this when selecting your springs
expecially if you are considering a Boardtrack or Vintage build. But remember whether you use
chromium plated springs or painted ones, they will be a center of focus with those checking
your bike out. (judges at contest events too)

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Somebody from Australia made a nice e-trike , with a homade set of these. I can't find the post anywhere I believe his name was Aussie Jester. It was one sweet ride anybody got a link?

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
I watched his builds and he is a true craftsman!!! He built his own front end as per those instructions and than modded them for his own taste as he thought they were inadequate for his application. In the end KIM'S conclusion was he would not build another, and just buy one as the hassel, cost, and time did did not justify the end result...POPS

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
If You deceide to build them...I got some extra springs and freeze plugs that the plans call for.
Cheers

butchl

Sep 30, 2008
Garden City, MI
I have the big lower springs but don't know what to use for the rebound springs since this is a bit heaver than a bicycle.? I have all of the pieces made and stone tumbled ( looks pro built)LOL.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I had seen the link in the past and was very impressed. Didn't ever get around to building one ( for my OCC). However this is what I had planed to do. Take my existing fork tubes, rotate them 180Deg. This puts the brakes to the rear and will not interfear with the spring tubes.

The bars that the wheel mounts on would be offset around the outside of the tubes. These are just basic sketches of what I was thinking.

Attachments