Rear drum brakes for Whizzers?

GoldenMotor.com

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I was looking at that nice Sturmey Archer
brake set-up posted on the General Forum and I started searching (not very effectively) about what I can do for my 2000 Whizzer's back brakes. I'm on a computer that's always teetering on the edge of crashing and searching becomes tedious.
Any advice? :D

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Weedy, it would seem easier than w31john's ride. The Whizzer sheave should be simpler to install than his sprocket. No machining necessary with the correct hub..bld.

Last edited:

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I gotta go look up Sturmey's info if I can. The sheave didn't enter into my thoughts. Sprocket mounting is another concern I gotta figure. I was wondering mainly about the width, and mounting to the frame and dropouts. But there's more to it than I have even started to consider in my little brain. :D

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
What I'm having trouble with is whether any of these after market hubs have provisions for a sprocket. I need to go back to school, I guess.

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
Worksman offers a rear drum brake and wheel assembly too. I have not tried them yet but I plan to soon. I will post back on my findings. I agree with you. The coaster brake just does not feel strong enough for me. Mine gets so hot the grease drips out of it.

Last edited:

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I'm not sure about the S-A because there are not enough pics and I'm outta time. I had to make a grocery run, just got back, now have to go to work in 26 minutes. I'll do some more searching.
I'll look at the Worksman also. thanks for the tips guys. :D

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
I don't remember where I got this info from but here is a part number for a Worksman 26' drum brake wheel.

77RA WHEEL :REAR DRUM 26X2.125W/O TIRE

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
%-7 Heaven, I've found out nothing new, yet.
Fossil, I went to a Workmans dealer's site( I think) and didn't find that description though. Is it for trikes only? I haven't searched enough yet. Maybe Sunday... :D

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Whizzer has a complete rear drum brake assembly.
Whizzer Motorbike
I have it and I am not impressed with the rear drum brake.
I rode "The Whizzard" for 25 miles today. I picked it up a week ago from an open bike lot where it sat for months.

I also am not impressed by the bike's stopping performance..duh.

Maybe both brakes need adjusting.

I wonder what the faster Whizzer bikes on this forum use for brakes.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I've locked up the coaster on numerous occasions, it's exciting. I've also resorted to the Fred Flintstone method. :D
Me too.

Weedy, for a cheap fix a front-mount side-pull vee brake setup MIGHT work. Install it upside down at the seatstay junction..bld.

Unsure if this brake will clear the rear fender or engine. It does clear my fenderless cruiser though.

whizzbang

Feb 5, 2009
anaheim ca.
fossil:I purchased a worksman wheel with a rear brake several years ago and put it on my pacemaker. The sheave does not match up with the spoke clips but they will work if they are simply turned around like I did. But the bottom line is that the worksman brake itself does not stop very well. Whizzbank