mountain bike or cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

swimmer2

Jan 26, 2009
FL
What is the best for my first build? Mountain bike or cruiser. I was also planing on getting the 80CC from bikeberry or gasbike. Are those good places to get it from.

Last edited:

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
bike berry being a sponsor i would say to be the way to go. Personally I like the looks of the cruisers over the mountain bikes but before a recommendation could be made why to give us an idea of how you intend to use the setup.

swimmer2

Jan 26, 2009
FL
just to ride around for fun, it will be in the city though so starting and stopping. Yea BikeBerry is $10 more expensive then gasbike . net i think it is the same kit too. but i guess there is no way to know.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I like the cruiser for the simple fact they are more comfortable for me to ride. And a multi speed is way better then a single speed, I have a single speed and it's a pain sometimes.

Although there are some Mt. bikes that are comfortable, just go with the one you like the best is my advice.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
A good mountain bike has better brakes, lots of gears and a strong frame. It can be set up with cruiser or BMX bars and you don't lean over as much as the racing set up. I set mine up with just a rear shifter and move it over to the left side. That and a dual pull single brake lever clears off the bars to allow the throttle and clutch lever on the right.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hi Swimmer. I personally love the way cruisers look. Has already been said but I find a MTB is an easier build, especially for a first build. Put cruiser handle bars and seat on a MTB and the only thing missing is the sweeping lines. (which is what makes it a bit more trying to mount) But what matters most is what you would like more. Another great thing about MBs is that you built it and can swap it around at will.

Build some thing cool! The only thing more fun then your last build, is the next.
Looking forward to your pics

Last edited:

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
cruisers look waaaay better, imho.

but its your world, and its what you make of it.

if you go MTB, make sure you get a steel frame. lots of them are aluminum, which doesnt hold up well, once its motored.

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
MTB with suspension forks and good brakes is a safer ride.

My latest build was on a "Hybrid" with 700C wheels and Front suspension.

Bigger wheels ride smother and you can still run fat tires if so inclined. Mine are 38mm now. Will upgrade to 50mm slicks as soon as these wear out.

By far the best I have used yet.

I have used 27" Road bikes, Cruisers, MTB and even a 20" old school Stingray.

Attachments

skyl4rk

Aug 14, 2008
M I C H I G A N
Get a bike that pedals well and handles well. Usually a MTB will do better than a cruiser. Suspension is good to have. You may need to go to a rack mount to use the suspension.