don't need any help

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Just wanted to share this thought.

I have jerked my chain around and it has jerked me around. I have bought the worst and the best tensioners and finally I just took it off and am running the chain without one again. It is much different tensions as the bike moves along but finally I'm at the point I just don't care. As long as it doesn't fall off to heck with it.

Just thought I would share that comment for some reason it seemed like the thing to do.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I gave up trying to get the chain "perfect" since it was looser and tighter depending on where the wheel was in it's rotation.

The sprocket is nearly impossible to center perfectly unless you grind the center hole out so it's centers!

I always ran with 1" of slack at the TIGHTEST POINT and never had a problem except for the excessive noise.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I had to laugh as I read your post. Picture me getting the bike all put together, being so thrilled to finally being ready to test it. I go down the road, let the clutch out and bang!
That stupid thing went into my spokes so bad that I had to park the bike for the night so that I could buy a new wheel the next day.
By this point I'm thinking that I made a huge mistake buying this "stupid carp" engine kit. Next day I put new wheel on and even drill a little hole through the bracket and into the frame and threaded a small bolt into it so that it cannot move into the spokes again.........but it did.....another wheel needed.
I took that thing and fired it into the garbage, cut the chain and am lucky to have adjustment by sliding the wheel backwards in it's little slot on the frame. Not all bikes have this option.
I've worked on cars for most of my life but I could never figure out what I did wrong.
Man, when I look at some of the picks with enough chain for two bikes it drives me nuts figuring out why it works for them.
Please be careful though because if the chain is too loose, it will fall of the sprocket on the engine and bunch itself up inside that little cover. I was so afraid of breaking the engine case when it happened to me that I peddled home that day.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Toytime thats good! I must be charmed or is it cause I ride a Harley I don't seem to have chain problems. Now that I've said that I'll not be able to keep a chain on watch and see.
Deacon must have the chain from hadies. Deacon look real close at the chain and the chain adjuster see if it says made in ****?rotfl Isn't there a ****, Mi. Must be where its made.
I wonder what kind of problem we'd have if it was a drive shaft?rotfl I've got some wise answers for that ! I will keep to my self for now.rotfl
Norman

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Hey I threw that darn chain today and broke a half dozen spokes. I do want to say thank you to you guys, because of you I could clear the jam in the clutch housing and ride it home instead of pushing it. but the rear wheel is gone. I have no idea what I'm going to do to get that chain adjusted again. I think what I will do is to take a link out and just tighten for it, again then put that piece of crap tensioner on the bike chain since it will be loose. I might just order a half link on ebay, nobody around here has them.

Big Joe

Jan 6, 2008
Decatur Al
Deacon
I have some old chain from junker bikes. I will send you some links if they are the correct size when i send the other stuff.
Joe.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I got a ton of bike chain but it is a half link I need.. A full lenght make the bike chain to long or too short. need a half link so the motor chain and the bike chain are close to the same length.