Proto--type clutch pucks

GoldenMotor.com

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Today Dean at Pipelyne stamped out our first sets of clutch pucks out of carbonium friction material. (The clutch takes 15 pucks) I installed mine and ready for a long test ride tommarrow. Updates tommarrow!

Has anyone else worn out their clutches?

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
Same here....My clutch is fine BUT do tell us more about these clutches Pipelyne has.....what are the benefits or the carbonium friction material? What is a stock clutch made of?....Interested in hearing more about anything high performance!
Andrew

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
The stock pucks are made of brake pads material with small bits of cloth like material mixed into the pucks. They were brittle when I broke one in half. Carbonium is the same material we use on our kart's clutches. The carbonium material is harder and will last longer. A couple of us have the new pucks in our clutches and are going on a 40+ mile test ride today.
I'm really surprised you guys haven't shredded your stock pucks yet.
Its probably b/c we ride hard 80% of the time.^5

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I'm wondering if any of you guys work on automatic trannys? How close do those plates come to fitting the clutch on one of these bikes. It would take some work but I'm wondering out loud any of you guys thought about this?
Or a motorcycles clutch plate/plates.
Easy you got to post pictures of the pads its not nice or fair to be doing or making something cool and not showing and telling. Well you did tell. Thanks for the info let us know who it works.
Norman

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Easy you got to post pictures of the pads its not nice or fair to be doing or making something cool and not showing and telling. Well you did tell. Thanks for the info let us know who it works.
Norman
LOL sorry Norm you're right. I shouldn't have dangled the carrot like that. Todays ride was great. We mostly rode on dirt paths. We put in at least 30 miles in today. The clutches held up great. I tore it apart just to inspect the pucks and they look great. No slipping and they performed fantastic.

Last edited:

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I thought I understood what you were talking about until I saw your pics. Now I am confused. I thought you were just gluing new pads into place but from what i see, that is not stock, is it?
I can see the possibilities of going one step further and going with a wet clutch pack just like a real bike. Now that would be cool!
Nice work Easy rider, you should be proud!

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I thought I understood what you were talking about until I saw your pics. Now I am confused. I thought you were just gluing new pads into place but from what i see, that is not stock, is it?
I can see the possibilities of going one step further and going with a wet clutch pack just like a real bike. Now that would be cool!
Nice work Easy rider, you should be proud!
I don't deserve the credit. The credit go to SCSW/Pipelyne Manufactoring. I'm just helping him with the testing stages to make sure he's using the best material. That is the stock clutch set-up. We only changed the pucks. Some of the guys here have experimented with thick gear lube, Lucas oils and anti-seize. Me...I run mine dry for now but I plan on trying some ATF to see if that would work for a wet clutch.

Joe, Yes the stock clutch pucks are round. All of the clutches we've opened up so far use the round pucks. I think we have a winner with the material for the pucks. I abused my clutch on yesterday's ride (since its in the testing stages) and the shoes showed little to barely any wear on them.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Thanks , the reason I am confused is because the one time I had my clutch off, it did not look like yours. I always thought it was a flat plate with "pucks" bonded onto it. It's the holes and the round "pucks" that are getting to me.
I found a pic that may help you in understanding my point.
I'm feeling very stupid right now...lol

Attachments

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
That's good to know from our stand point. What motor do you have? I'm sure Pipelyne has a die that can stamp out one of those square pads.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
It's a "Kings 80cc" and i am so happy with it. i will be keeping an eye on this thread, that's for sure. Thanks! That pic was from kings site as well.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Yea thats the first time I saw round pucks. those look just like my airplanes disc brakes pucks. Those about the size of a quater? My brakes are gurdies same as on the coorslight silver bullet airplane/BD-5J. They are only slightly better than dragging my feet but I don't want to be able to lock them up and stand the plane on its nose either make the prop real short. Your pucks got me to wondering.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I know if I put both feet on the ground and engage the clutch slowly until fully engaged, It doesn't slip at all. Our new clutches grab pretty good and will probably last the life of the motor.

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
I think a wet clutch setup would require a lot of maintenance because we don't have any pump or a filter to catch clutch material. The oil would quickly become a grinding paste then attack the gear train unless it was changed very often. I'll stick with a dry setup and moly grease.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
A good wet clutch like a bike has would be nice- you'd be able to slip it a lot and only change the oil on occasion.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I 'm sure it would quieten things down as well. All that oil would deaden the sound and I've always thought that that was where most of the racket comes from. After re-thinking my thoughts though, I realize that the "pucks" would soak up the oil and the bike would not move. The clutch plates on a real bike are not made from a sponge-like material.
I would encourage easyrider to think about this though. He would have nothing at all to lose, he just needs to come up with a better material. If things don't work out it's just a matter of cleaning things up and replacing his pucks.

perplexium

Oct 21, 2008
Irvine
Were can i buy one of these clutches? my clutch is dying out and i need a new one. would like to replace with performance parts.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I would encourage easyrider to think about this though. He would have nothing at all to lose, he just needs to come up with a better material.
What material would you recommend?
Most italian pocket engines (Polini, ZPF and BZM) use carbonium for their performance clutch material. We've had good sucess and no problems using the carbonium. All the bikes we've installed the pucks in are working great and the pucks have shown very little wear.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
i only mentioned it because the subject of using oil was brought up. I don't really know what clutch plates were made of but it could very well have been carbonium. it's been years but I can remember the plates where a very hard, redish coloured and hard as a rock. Each friction plate was separated by a thin metal clutch plate with little bumps on them.
I'd still like to hear that you put a cup of oil in there and it worked!

Attachments