Personalize your sweat shirts, sweaters and t-shirts!

GoldenMotor.com

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
I worked out a fairly easy method to apply lettering or designs to clothing. No sewing is required. The appliques are attached with hot-melt glue!

Here's the basic procedure for applique with felt letters.

1. Create a design and reverse it (mirror image) before printing. 11x14 size paper is good for a full size design across the chest.

2. Use a scrap of masonite (or similar material) for a backer board. It needs to be slightly larger than your design dimensions. Spray it with tack spray and spray the back side of your printed logo sheet with tack spray. Let the spray set up so that is tacky, not gooey and doesn't transfer to your fingers when you touch it.

3. Lay your felt over the backer board smoothly and lay the sticky side of your logo sheet over the top of it. Press it all together.

4. Cut out the design. I used a rotary fabric cutter for some of it and a stencil knife for the corners and sharp curves. I suggest going around the whole thing two or three times to be sure you have clean cuts.

5. Tear away the paper and excess felt. Leave the design stuck to the board.

6. Apply hot glue with a glue gun all around the edges of the felt design. I went pretty heavy with the glue because it was for a sweater but I would think you wouldn't want so much for a t-shirt.

7. Turn the shirt inside out and align the board with the design at the proper place (now on the inside of the inside-out garment).

8. Lay a press sheet of cotton fabric over the garment and iron with the iron on the highest temperature setting and no steam. Keep the iron stationery over the design for about a minute. Remove the design and keep pressing while it cools.

9. Gently peel the lettering from the backer board and viola! You now have a unique new shirt!

Attachments