first nimh battery built

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
So I went for the first nihm build of the season today. The batteries came from china. I still don't believe the ah rating so I'm proceeding carefully.

I connected thirty 1.2v c cells using some folded alum foil. I folding it about eight layers to make the connectors. The I taped them to the top of bottom of the cells I used pieces of an inner tube for a tensioner over the connections.

In the end I had 39v more or less and they said 9.5 ah. so after it was all connected I took it out to my shop to an old brushed motor I set up with a controller to run a 36v 300 watts. I figued it would draw 10amps. more or less./

It ran with a lot of resistance for about fifteen minutes wide open. Then it was dragging. So I have the battery on the charger now. I figure it needs about an 80% charge, which will be about 7hrs at 1.5 amps. I have it in the house so I can check the charge every hour or so.

I checked the batteries constantly while they powered the motor and they did not overheat at all. So I think they might allow for a 10amp drain at least. I dont have a 500 watt controller or I would test it with a 15amp draw to see if it will do a 2C.

I'm waiting to see how the charger does, It is going to take a long time to charge it seems. I might have to look into a higher amp charger. A three amp charger would cut the time in half.

At least that is true if my calculations are correct. When I start adding ah to the pack it might prove to be a problem.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Sounds like a good way to connect the cells. I have heard that it is very difficult to soldier the connectors to the cells without risking cell damage. The experienced battery pack builders recommend spot welding the connectors to the cells, I guess a spot welder would be worth the expense if you build whole a lot of battery packs.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Not sure with my poor welding skills i would risk it. I have built several packs this way over the years that is never what failed. What failed last time is I tried to run it parallel with a sla battery they were not even close to balanced. so the pack over heated.

Of course I never threw one across a room either. that would probably make the foil fail.

I find that I must not have drained it completely the first time I ran it. It took only an hour to get what appears to be a full charge on it. Well I have a lot more experimenting to do.

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
Keep us updated and by god please upload some pictures maybe a youtube video of the pack's construction etc...

By chance how much did this pack and cells cost to build?

And once again THANK YOU!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The first 9.5 ah 36v pack cost 96 bucks for the 30 1.2 cells and prob ten bucks in tape and alum foil but I can build ten more using the same tape and foil.

Right now I'm trying to get the feel of the charging using a sla 1,5 amp charger. I am going to have to wait for my next set of batteries at least before I try the batteries on a real bike..

When I finish with that one I will have less than 200 bucks in a 36v 19 ah battery with a 2c load according to the information I have. I will check it very carefully since if it isn't 2c i can get a third pack relatively inexpensive and have a 28,5 pack for 3oo bucks.. thats where I am now.

So Im going to wait patiently for at least two more weeks. I will try to make some picture of the packs as I go., They are really easy to build.

Last edited: