TeamSpeakk Voice Communication

GoldenMotor.com

Pappy

Apr 19, 2009
Anderson, IN.
I like the Chat Box, it's a grate asset when you need help or just want to BS with friends, but sometimes typing doesn't quite get the message out as to what your trying to explain to someone.

I am a flight simulator junky and use a program called Teamspeak3, it's a voice communication program that we use to talk to others. TS/3 has all the bell's and whistles such as adding different room's for different subjects. It also has Private Messaging and Text Box Word Filter.

TS/3 works like this, one person is the Host such as the owner of this wonderful site, and us as members connect to his TS/3 via the IP that he provides, the host can give permissions such as Admin and Moderator to those of his choosing. It can be Password Protected or open to the public.

This is what it looks like.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

Powertool

Jul 8, 2012
Bradford,TN.
so lets do it , what software program is required , is this site setup to do so ? --- Vista --Windows 7 & 8 . Sounds like it would be great .

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The concept of a VoIP chat has been offered before in various formats, there's numerous problems with incorporating one into a forum like this however - problems that while not insurmountable make it a far more practical solution to simply not have one directly affiliated with motorbicycling.com but rather leave it to our members to contact one another directly, hosting their own one on one voice chat or conference call with the software mentioned above or another common VoIP server such as Skype etc., the contact details have been provided for on our profile pages.

The primary difficulties are security, of our site itself but more importantly our members and server load, a not insignificant concern given our annual growth rate. VoIPs are bandwidth hogs and with the number of potential participants we have here it would certainly present a serious problem.

Some of the secondary concerns have been discussed previously as well;

Use of a Voice Server

i like to be able to look back on all that is said. with real time speak there is no record. this way if we have a problem or need to research something we can see all that is said. for a game site it would be awesome though.
would anyone be interested in a ventrilo server?

...I will say any live "chat" is fought with it's own problems - so much so some forums won't even consider a live text chat due to the issues it raises. We've had little problem with ours (thanks entirely to our exemplary memberbase), but there's the fact that any "chat" reduces the amount of permanent contributions to the forum itself - instead of posting observations, thoughts and concerns on the boards to be shared & searchable by all, they become transient with excellent potential lost, the more members that participate in the chats over the boards themselves, the more detrimental to the overall forum it becomes. Sadly, I've borne first hand witness to this on more than one occasion.

...I'm by no means discouraging the utilization of any live conversation between members, far from it - it's an excellent means of getting to know one another and enjoying the things we've in common, we even include such potential on the 'Profile Page' where you can offer your contact information regarding "Instant Messaging" which ofc includes VOIP... but I seriously doubt this forum will ever adopt an "official" motorbicycling.com live conference call, no matter the format.

Pappy

Apr 19, 2009
Anderson, IN.
I have hosted a Teamspeak server for many years and have had no issues of any kind.

I understand the phrase that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" I also know that some people are still living in the stone age and are still using rotary phones too, but Im still offering the use of voice communication via Teamspeak to those who would like to give it a try.