Help! Engine not engaging.

GoldenMotor.com

moonlight

Nov 14, 2008
Tampa, FL
Hi, I've had my bike about a month, and have had no issues with it really. However, a few days ago, my bike motor stopped engaging. The motor kicks in just fine, but won't engage the chain. If I put the clutch back in, the motor cuts off. Any ideas?????

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Moon,
I'm not understanding you. If the engine isn't engaging, how are you getting it started? Do you have a 4 stroke with a centrifugal clutch and a pull start? If not and you have a China 2 stroke, I don't understand your problem.
Let us know what type engine you have. We'll try to help.

moonlight

Nov 14, 2008
Tampa, FL
Moon,
I'm not understanding you. If the engine isn't engaging, how are you getting it started? Do you have a 4 stroke with a centrifugal clutch and a pull start? If not and you have a China 2 stroke, I don't understand your problem.
Let us know what type engine you have. We'll try to help.
Hey 2door,

I do have a China 2 stroke. What is happening is that the motor turns on, but it never starts turning the chain on its own. If i stop pedalling, the motor turns off.

slipdrive44

Dec 3, 2008
Tucson
The problem is your motor isn't starting then. Clutch would be engagedment, and if the piston is cranking and the motor isn't staring that could be any number of problems.

Since you said it was running fine before I will take your fuel mixture out of the list, and you probably know how to work the choke to...

SO, feel free to check any of the following for why it won't start:

Fuel flow, fuel filter, carb needle, air filter, spark plug, spark coil, kill switch, and all wires.

You need fuel, air, and a spark to run, make sure your engine is getting them all.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Hey 2door,

I do have a China 2 stroke. What is happening is that the motor turns on, but it never starts turning the chain on its own. If i stop pedalling, the motor turns off.
It might sound like it's running but really not.

pull the plug and plug it back onto the wire and rest it on the motor. Then release the clutch and spin the back tire. You should see a spark on the plug. If you do, then you'll want to make sure the motor is getting fuel, and that there are no air leaks.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I just spoke the builder that I got the bike from, he mentioned that the clutch pad may need to be replaced. Thoughts?
It might just need some adjustment

A) Disengage clutch by pulling handle bar clutch lever inward and lock into catch lock.

B) Remove right side engine clutch cover and remove small locking screw on center *Clutch Adjust Nut.

C) Pull clutch arm on left rear engine inward. Back off *Clutch Adjust Nut ¼ turn counterclockwise.

D) Release clutch lever and check for slight clutch arm 1/16” free-play on opposite side of engine. Readjust *Clutch Adjust Nut as required to get required 1/6” clutch arm free play.

E) Tighten *Clutch Adjust Nut on clutch plate clockwise until just snug.

F) Then re-install small locking screw in outer edge of *Clutch Adjust Nut.

G) Good idea to place a small gob of grease at gear mesh area. Use grease sparingly! Then replace cover.

H) Squirt light grade oil down clutch cable sheathing to reduce friction and make for easy lever pull.

Attachments