Meyer Handicap Trike

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2BdtPprFoI

Fasteddy sent me a link to a U tube video featuring a 1954 Meyer Handicap Trike made in Germany. It is likely the only one in the U.S. The gentleman in the video is Dave the Motorman of Minnesota who restores Cushmans, vintage light motorcycles, Whizzers, etc. and is well known for his knowledge and skill world wide. He is the fellow who sold a 1940's Villiars Midget engine and two 1930's Fitchel & Sachs 98cc engines to Fasteddy a year ago. I'm using the villiars in a 1934 Elgin build and the Sachs engines are powering my Indian Hiawatha and Fasteddy's 1904 Indian tribute build. That same Sachs engine is powering the Meyer Handicap Trike in the video. Sachs made that engine for light motorcycles from 1933 to the mid 1950's.

There's a lot to admire about this trike. I can well imagine how many old guys (and girls) would love to have one or something like it. I like the location of the engine and the very cool lever start. Comfortable seating and easy to get on board, the bike is sturdy and has rear suspension. The two speed transmission gives it some flexibility in gearing for starting from a dead stop and climbing hills. I like the way it looks, too.

Since Steve (Fasteddy) shared the link with me, I figured I'd pass it along. If I needed one, I'd sure rather have this than an electric wheelchair. I don't need one (yet), but I'd like to ride this around anyway. It would be cool with a tow behind trailer for groceries, etc.
SB