Motor won't start

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hauzer

Oct 10, 2008
Little Rock, AR
OK, here's what happened:

After getting the gasoline and motor oil, I poured the motor oil in first then the gas with the gas lever accidentally open. The oil promptly went down the tube and into the carburetor. I realized my mistake after it wouldn't start with that.

So, I drained the fuel out into the gasoline container and poured the rest of the oil in there. I bought 1 gallon, and the oil was 8 ounces.

After shaking it up I poured it back into the gas tank with the lever closed. Then I opened it up and did the usual start procedure (priming and the clutch and all that)

It still wouldn't start.

So I took off the carburetor and loosened it up enough to where it would drain the oil into a pan quickly and easily. I tightened it up and put it back on to tried again.

It still wouldn't start.

By now I've attempted getting it to go many many times, and it just won't start up. I used a hill too.

Reading the other threads, I've come to the conclusion that perhaps it's the magneto... or maybe the spark plug. It could also be the carburetor. Or perhaps I permanently broke some component by flooding it with unmixed oil.

The thing is I don't know and I've got midterms to worry about. So right now it sits in my bathroom (after I drained the fuel back into the gas container - which now sits in the outside storage closet). I'm hoping I won't have to order a part, so I'll probably buy a spark plug first. Next I could try replacing the carburetor, then I could try replacing the magneto, or perhaps the black box thing?

And yeah, I tried it without the kill switch

The only thing I know works for certain is the piston. It goes up and down and put-putts if I go fast enough. That's it =p

My bike is more useful without the motor at this point, and I'm wondering if I should have just let it be and not get the kit at all.

The kit was purchased for $250 at Five Flags Motorbikes. It is brand new, and made in China. The size is 70cc and I had to take the filter off the carburetor just to fit it on my bike.

If I'm unsuccessful in getting it to work, I'd happily sell it here to one of you more knowledgeable people at a significant cost reduction.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I have seen too many of these engine that will not start lately. Well I think you need to find out if there is spark and then go to the fuel. The oil would not hurt anything so that is not a problem. Lay the plug on the head and turn the engine over and confirm there is a spark, you can do this any place just push the wheel with the pedal or move the wheel with your hand should be enough. Make sure the wires from the coil are in the correct order and not touching. If the plug is not firing hold it away from the head 1/8" to see if the plug is bad, you can do this with a rag to balance the plug the 1/8" if you are chicken about getting shocked. LOL. It sounds like the carb is getting fuel these engines need a fair amount of choke and wide open throttle to get them going. Have fun, Dave

Hauzer

Oct 10, 2008
Little Rock, AR
It's the magneto!

First I took out the spark plug so that I could see it fire and pushed - no spark.

Then I took out the wires and held the ends in my fingers and pushed - no shock.

Thanks Mikebike for that PM! I will order a new one asap.

MikeBike

Oct 7, 2008
Palm Springs CA.
i hope dax has good quality parts, if not i think we need to take the china engines to honda or rotax and ask them to build there own model but fitts on bicycle

Hauzer

Oct 10, 2008
Little Rock, AR
It's not in the house, it's in the outside storage closet, sealed up and double checked. The gasoline was drained out into the container before storing the bike inside.

Now... I got the new magneto, but it's still not working. I don't have the time for this right now. Maybe this weekend I'll get a new sparkplug. If that doesn't work, I'll buy a CDI. And if that doesn't work I guess I'm doing something wrong.

Ultimately, I will sell it for hardly nothing if I can't get it running. I just bought that bike, and I can't even ride it (without looking dumb) because of this stupid motor. It's the worst purchase I've ever made. If I wanted transportation, I should have gotten that nice red moped I was looking at.

But nooo, I had to be cheap. Buying cheap has always bitten me in the ass, without fail, every single time. If I wanted to be a motor bycycle enthusiast I would have gotten better quality parts. All I wanted was transportation. This **** is not for the uninitiated beginners.

And yes, I grounded the white wire, and yes I held the spark plug to the motor to ground it when I tested it.

Finally, once I get this working, I may sell it anyway at a reduced price and give the oil-mixed gas to my dad so he can use it in his weed eater... what a waste this was.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
If you ground the white wire it shorts the system out and the ignition will not work, grounding that wire is how some, me included, attach the kill switch. That may be your problem.

MikeBike

Oct 7, 2008
Palm Springs CA.
It's not in the house, it's in the outside storage closet, sealed up and double checked. The gasoline was drained out into the container before storing the bike inside.

Now... I got the new magneto, but it's still not working. I don't have the time for this right now. Maybe this weekend I'll get a new sparkplug. If that doesn't work, I'll buy a CDI. And if that doesn't work I guess I'm doing something wrong.

Ultimately, I will sell it for hardly nothing if I can't get it running. I just bought that bike, and I can't even ride it (without looking dumb) because of this stupid motor. It's the worst purchase I've ever made. If I wanted transportation, I should have gotten that nice red moped I was looking at.

But nooo, I had to be cheap. Buying cheap has always bitten me in the ass, without fail, every single time. If I wanted to be a motor bycycle enthusiast I would have gotten better quality parts. All I wanted was transportation. This **** is not for the uninitiated beginners.

And yes, I grounded the white wire, and yes I held the spark plug to the motor to ground it when I tested it.

Finally, once I get this working, I may sell it anyway at a reduced price and give the oil-mixed gas to my dad so he can use it in his weed eater... what a waste this was.
im sorry

dude i am having the same problem!!!!

but PM me too see if we can f-n figure this out

Motormac

Sep 23, 2008
Ontario Canada
Ghosto, you beat me too it! that is his problem, it will definetly not start if his white wire is grounded. Hauzer, just cap the white wire off and see if it starts now, and let us know.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
White wire grounded....Now let's see if he comes back and says "Doh! I am SUCH an idiot! I guess these stupid bikes aren't so bad after all."

I mean this in a loving way- I have done much worse (stupid) things in my life.:crash:

MikeBike

Oct 7, 2008
Palm Springs CA.
lol. i hear you

Hauzer, dont give up. i had a 10 mile ride on mine before it whouldnt start.

and man, i tell you what, it was SOOO FN COOOL. trust me , it so worth this pain, and it will make you a better person.

there is never a good shot with out fallow threw.

soccor, football, baseball, golf, tennis, motorbiking.

all the same, the rezalt you get it what you put in.

and trust me, passing cars like there standing still on A BIKE is just to much fun...

Status
Not open for further replies.