Whizzer meets Apache Trail

GoldenMotor.com

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona

This is a photo essay of my trip today. I have a Whizzer I got a month ago and have plans to use it so am making progressively tougher trips out from East Valley of the Sun (Phoenix/Mesa Arizona). This is actually the turn around point of my trip today. I started at 6AM with 325 miles on the odometer and ended about 10:30 AM with 407 miles showing.

This is 10 miles away from home. I actually wanted to be at the trail that goes along the Superstition Mountains by now, to miss the sun in my eyes but was slow leaving. I have some great memories out in these mountains that fosters legends and stories. I once was on First Water Trail on a Mountain Bike. A friend and I had spent the night camping in the Wilderness and were battling the trails that had been torn up by horses riding in the rain. Trails were dry now but with 6 inch and deeper ruts shaped just like a horses hoof. Well we got asked to leave the wilderness area because of a new law that prohibited bicycles and hang gliders in Wilderness areas. He wasn't lying as I went to the forestry office and looked at the regulation book that had these to obnoxious forms of mechanized transportation penciled into the rules at the appropriate place. Below the Apache trail lies about 10 miles farther east looking out from about Power Road and University Road.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona

This is about at the First Water turn off of the Trail. There is also a Second Water Trail and this is close to the Lost Dutchman Park. The Lost Dutchman is Jacob Waltz who died with a lot of people wanting to know if he really had a secret stash in the Superstitions. He never told so a lot of legends exist as do a lot of hot hours in the Oasis the Apaches used as a stronghold.

This is spectacular and grand country with places like Monument Valley a few hundred miles north. I was on Beeline Highway yesterday at the 4 Peaks turnoff where these boulder formations are all haphazardly laid out along the desert floors and walls. This area has a real different feel and yet I never tire of views of the rock formations. The vegetation is so varied and impressive. Certainly different than Sequoia and Redwoods of California or even the Pine and Juniper found a little higher elevations here, but beautiful, useful and very wonderful to reacquaint oneself with.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona

This is a lookout point above Canyon Lake part of the watter collection system Phoenix enjoys. Was almost empty a few years ago. Sadly the lookout place is full of graffiti. I had already struggled up some hills where I was bogging down with not enough power to keep up speed. Whats a fella to do but Peddle. Later I knew it would get steeper so I was a little concerned.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona

I have already passed the steepest parts where I was afraid to stop and not get started again. I slowed below 15 mph at times and peddled "GASP" for at least 10 minutes!!! Within maybe 80 miles of Mesa I don't know of a steeper stretch of road. I do think I need some gears on this Whizzer or a more powerful motor. Since I am sold on the helper nature of the motor I like the idea of a few gears to help out at the right times.

Last edited:

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona

You can barely see the yellow Whizzer amongst the Cats Claw, Ocotillo, Agave, Jojoba, Prickly Pear (in Fruit), Mesquite and many smaller plants. This was todays turn around, but I want to do the whole loop one day soon. I would continue on another 30 or so miles past Apache and Roosevelt lakes and then south to Globe/Miami then west past Superior, Florence Junction and Apache Junction back home to Mesa.

Adventures for another day, with fewer mechanical questions. I was actually glad I left late as My lights that worked yesterday did not work today. I keep going thru oil and need to add frequently. On the way back I kept sputtering like bad gas or something and then it would go away and run smooth again. I am a good bicycle mechanic but I suck as a motor mechanic. I guess I better work on those gears to help on the next steep climb cause I will find it. Mt Lemon here I come.

Well I did not give a lot of photos of rustic shelters but there are a lot of places some used in the movies along this path. This is Tortilla Flat a turn around point for most who are not going to end of the pavement or Apache lake or Revis ranch. There are many more stories and here are a mention of a few more. I harvested Jojoba here at Tortilla Flat one year with my boys. I USCF raced out of TF to AJ and back once where I was pedaling my bike up some of these twisty roads passing up tourists as were any bike racers going well. I took my 8 year old son hiking into Revis Ranch, a trucking farm in the now wilderness area I once got thrown out of. Peralta Trail is a favorite hike for many in the East Valley in Spring, Winter and Fall, but not so much in Summer with it's 115 degree in the shade readings. There is no gold for me in these mountains but I have found Spring fed streams when I needed them to go along with my memories.

Last edited:

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Nice pictures! Like Arizona Highways Magazine meets the Whizzer brochure.
This time of year is merciful in Arizona.
I've got some memories of Tortilla Flat also.

pronounced: tor-tee-ya

Last edited:

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Beautiful pics Lenny. It looks like it was a really fun ride. Thank you very much for sharing. :)

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Clotho,

this trip is made for you bike. Lots of ups and downs and a retro area if there ever was one. I did stop about 1/2 mile after the pavement ended though.