24 Volt 250 Watt Motor

GoldenMotor.com

quietstormted

Oct 25, 2011
queens
i have a 24 Volt 250 Watt Motor on a mongoose scooter. i was reading the post of someone who said that wattage has no power. is it possible for me to put a 24 volt 350-400 watt motor in replacement?

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
That is very easy to do. The motor is a Currie motor according to my quick research. a larger wattage motor should be a straight swap. There's lot's of places to get them too.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
you can definitely tell a difference between the two. Not sure what the controller will do if you swap them out probably nothing.

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
I don't think anything will happen. Currie brushed motor controllers can usually handle up to 600 watts, no sweat. The battery may not last as long though.

quietstormted

Oct 25, 2011
queens
Thanks you for yours reponses. If you guys (my name is teddy but I'm a female) think I can go up in wattage w/o effecting the controller, you think 350 would be the best choice or cud I go higher? The next think I have to get me batteries anyway cause they're not holding a charge, should I increase Them also, right now I have to 12v's?

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
You can go with a higher wattage motor if you want to, that is up to you, as i've already said i believe there shouldn't be a problem with the controller. I say this because any currie motor controller that i have seen has been the same. I would replace the batteries if they aren't holding a charge. With what is a matter that anyone could talk about all day long. I would say just replace them with the same thing you have right now. If they don't work out very well there are many other options to explore. It all depends on how much money you want to spend.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have run as high as 500 watt 24v motor at 36volt on a motor bike with the curry stuff worked fine but I had to buy a controller anyway, so I bought a big one its why I dont know what the stock ones do

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
Oh. If you go by what's stamped on them you'd never think they were capable of much 24v 35amp. After some research i found that the MOSFETs were capable of handling a lot more voltage, they will handle up to 50v before operating abnormal. So 48v would cause no problems. Wouldn't have to add any radical cooling methods anyway. I ran my controller at 36v for a fair amount of time. No problems.
I guess it's time to show this disgraceful, Frankenstien monster. Only problem is that it worked so well. Had to stop using it after electric was disallowed on public roads though. Don't want anyone thinking i don't know what i'm talking about.
Sorry about highjacking this thread quietstormted.
I'll let you get back to business.

Attachments

Last edited:

quietstormted

Oct 25, 2011
queens
normo no problem, i dont think its dreadful, it don't look half bad, lol. well maybe that's what i'll do, i wont go as high as 500 but maybe between 300-400 and see how it works. thanks to all.