Electric bicycles in Tour de France?!!!

GoldenMotor.com

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Video shows small electric motor inserted in the seat tube of a high performance road racing bicycle, which turns bevel gears to power the crankset directly, controlled by switches hidden on the "STI" or "ErgoPower" shift/brake levers.
Video maker speculates that "doped bikes" may be used to cheat in the Tour De France.

Bike with engine (doped bike) and Cancellara (Roubaix - Vlaanderen) - YouTube

I don't want them used in the TDF because it's an HPV race, but I think this technology might be really well liked by commuters. xct2

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
i really like it... the motor is secured from extreme weather conditions... but where's the battery? maybe the water bottle is the battery... if this comes as a kit, i would probably buy it...

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
In the video, the battery pack was shown to fit inside the frame as well. It has to be completely hidden or the fans may beat the rider, and the judges will disqualify all winnings. In a stage race, a few pounds of weight would be significant, but among top tier professional riders, not as much, when it can be used for a slight assist. It's possible also that it can recharge going downhill.

I agree, this needs to be a kit with an external battery pack. I don't see why a version couldn't be sold that works with either lower level frames and cranks, or why something can't be manufactured at a commuter price point.