possible motorized touring bike section?

GoldenMotor.com

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Just wondering if you guys could put up a possible motorized touring bike section since there not much info on how to set one up or how to logisticly put gear on a bike and what type of gear to get as well as pic's of motorized touring bikes? Any ideas?

xct2 cflg

Last edited:

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
I'd like to see it and have it supported. Heck I'd like if there was a commuter bike section. It might mean that MABs were moving beyond being a toy but I don't think we're anywhere close to that yet. In the meantime, maybe the travel board and post away. I'll be interested and it'll be easy to spot, lol.

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
i'm wondering even if it was possible to even put a touring bike section even in the motorized bicycle section if it was possible so those who do a lot of touring on their mbs can get to give some info on how to set up a touring mb with, racks and pannier bags as well as touring gear set up and road travelling information. Just wondering if it can be possibly done?

xct2 cflg

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
That dude Hart in the travel section ought to be the expert he said he's put over 7000 miles on his HT in the last year from a message he sent me on facebook...

I like you lived in Texas when i built my bike and road it back to Tn. then on April 30 left and came to Washington. have already logged over 7,000ml. in less than 1yr.

He's about to head out again too I guess he done found himself a lifestyle on the road. Plenty have done just that on the railroads.

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
Ive ordered a simple simon friction drive kit from dimension edge. I will have it monday. I will first try it out on my old bridgestone mb5. I will have a yuba mundo cargo bicycle by christmas and plan to motorize it and still have enough cargo loading capability to avoid using a trailer. The length of this bicycle makes it an excelent bicycle for touring. As far as what gear you need, you can find plenty of info from other bicycle tourists on bicycle touring forums and blogs. It would be nice to post this info her also.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Not meaning to be a stick in the mud by any means... but I'm not quite sure "touring/commuting" is enough of a distinction to warrant an entire new subforum for two reasons;

1: Other than weekend toys/dedicated race bikes, all bicycles are inherently commuters - provided only that you at least occasionally commute with them.

2: True, dedicated motorized "touring" bikes (permanently installed full gear/packs) are so rare I don't know if we could populate a subforum... I'm not sure just having the packs/trailer to mount on an otherwise not equipped bike truly counts.

Please don't get me wrong - I am a commuter/tourer (that's not a real word but w/e lol), I use my motorized bicycles as year round daily drivers/commuters (yes, even in winter w/o exception) and nearly every weekend I'll go on extended long distance trips (100 miles or more on the gas bikes)... nevertheless I don't see the bikes themselves as particularly different than anyone else's - I may just have an extra pack or two and some additional tooling I would normally leave behind... so if anything it's a mere difference in riding habits and not so much a unique bicycle type...

Still, it's a valid suggestion and it may well be the lack of a subforum responsible for the seeming lack of touring/commuter bikes... to help with this potential why not utilize this thread to present examples (links to your & other's threads) to illustrate the need/interest and we'll see from there?

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Just my way of thinking here.... Maybe a sticky on racks/bags/baskets/panniers
would be a help to members who do have mabs for more then for show/toy.

They do make bicycles just for touring. Both mass produced and custom built by frame makers

I will say that having a rear mounted friction drive makes it a PITA to have something on the back that does not look like bubba joe and billy boob after a case and a 1/5 put it togather.