Biking in Traffic

GoldenMotor.com

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
I find that riding in urban areas on roads with lots of cars is really easy on my motorized bike. The speed of my MB (30+ mph) usually lets me keep up with the flow of traffic and fit in, which is impossible when I’m just pedaling my regular bike..

When I need to make a left turn, it’s not really hard to fit in with traffic even if I have to cut across several lanes of traffic to make my turn. If there is a car on in the lane to my left, I will signal by pointing with one finger directly to the spot on the road that I want to go to. The car in the left lane will almost inevitably slow to give me the spot. In fact, they will almost always give me the spot if I simply turn my head to the left.

I also ride on lots of old curvy narrow 2-lane roads with no shoulders and traffic in both directions. It’s almost impossible for a car to pass any bike no matter how far it rides to the right. But on my motorized bike I keep up with traffic hardly slowing it down at all.

This means that I can ride my motorized bike on roads where I would never ride my pedal bike. I ride my motorized bike for almost all my shopping and errands using roads with lots of traffic. I couldn’t do that on my pedal bike. (And even if I could, it would take too long and be too tiring.)

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The traffic doesn't bother me much, as we are limited to roads with lower speed limits in TX. However, I will normally avoid left turns and substitute the "cross and then cross again" method.