Throttle won't twist back

GoldenMotor.com

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
I have a 66cc Grubee, my throttle was working fine up until now. It just twist freely and does not twist back like it's suppose to. Can anyone please help?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
You might have broken the throttle cable so your going to need to do some inspection work on the throttle.

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
Upon close inspection when I open up the throttle assemble, the cheap plastic that holds the end of the cable broke. I need to order the whole right hand throttle assembly. No riding for at least 2 week boohoo! Thanks for your help Norman

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Sounds like you said the plastic sleeve that holds the cable broke that would be a bit harder to make, but I think I could with my lathe and some pvc pipe. If and when you break a cable check this out.
Look at the video for making your own throttle cable.
I buy a cable set a Walmart for $5.00 and by making my cable ends I don't have to wait on ordering my cables.
I can also go to the hardware store and buy aircraft grade cable and use it for replacement cables I make both cable ends by either silver soldering on and end or pouring babbit ends with a mold that I make, I figure if I can make it myself then I'm better off than buying it.

Last edited:

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
When my throttle broke like that I'd ride for miles pulling the cable out of the carb with one hand between my legs and my left on the handlebars.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
That will get you home. I did sort of the same thing on a Honda gold wing when the cable broke, except I had to work the carbs with my finger to get home I had the ol lady on back, I ran a couple of stop signs, by the time I was home my finger hurt!! I did make a new cable instead of buy one.

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Norman,

I have a similar problem. The throttle moves freely when the barrel, spring and needle are out of the carb but binds after it is screwed into the carb. I make sure that the line on the barrel lines up with the idle screw and have lubed the barrel with WD40, oil and even tried grease but no luck. The cable appears to be free.....Dan

Attachments

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
If you are in the habit of tightening that cap on with channel locks DON"T crank it down very tightly as it will distort the carb body and make the barrel stick usually wide open throttle.
Did you by chance bend the needle ? It will hang up sliding in and out of the emulsion tube also.

TiM

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Tim,

The cap was only finger tight and was working okay on the last bike it was on so I guess the needle is not bent. It must be one of those "Dern, How could I have missed that" days. I am sure it is something stupid I am overlooking....Dan

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I got one from a customer that had corrosion in the barrel. I had to sand the slide for hours before it would work right.