LED Light System - Engine Gen Powered

GoldenMotor.com

LEDHead

Sep 6, 2009
Woodinville, WA
This post is to share a bright LED light system powered by the HT engine generator with the MB community. In my previous posts I described and showed pics of my original design. This post is about the re-design of that same system. This one is quite a bit simpler in terms of parts count and is a lot more compact. The goal was to develop: 1) a small electronic control module that would fit inside the body of a 3 x AAA battery type LED torch; 2) power a high intensity 3W white LED; 3) power a bright red LED tail light; 4) run off the generator white wire (w/ no battery); and 5) not interfere with the CDI so the engine will run at a slow idle with the lights on.

The system operates on an input voltage range of about 15V to 25V provided by the engine generator white wire. A full wave bridge rectifier converts the AC provided by the white wire to DC. The heart of the circuit is a switching current source that drives the white LED at 500mA. The tail light LED's are driven by a 50mA current sink. The switch incorporated in the end cap of the stock torch is used to turn the lights ON and OFF and FLASH.

The LED driver module, the bicycle torch with tail light, and high intensity LED (I replaced the torch stock LED with a brighter one) were all found on eBay and came from China. I constructed most of the support circuitry with surface mount parts from Mouser. This allowed it to fit on a 0.7" X 0.5" Vector board (Radio Shack).

The system draws 160mA at 22 VDC (3.5 Watts). This is the voltage on the 1000uF filter cap at low driving engine speed. At idle, the output of the generator drops. The circuit responds by tapering the current draw down when the input drops below about 18 volts. The result is some flicker at idle when the lights are ON but this reduction in loading is what keeps the system from degrading the CDI at idle.

In the FLASH mode the current draw is only about 40mA. The head and tail lights blink at about 7 Hz with 20% duty cycle.

In actual operation, the head light is extremely bright. It throws a strong focused beam that I set at about 30 feet in front of my bike. The peripheral light is adequate to illuminate the off-center areas. I feel safe riding at 15 to 20 mph in total darkness. The tail light is very bright and highly visible in day and night conditions.

The attached is a schematic of the complete circuit including thumbnail photos of the major components.

I hope the results from my efforts will be useful to bike builders that like DIY projects. The hardest part was building the circuit with surface mount parts and point to point wiring. But with the right tools, steady hands, and magnification, it can be done.

Good luck

Attachments

Last edited:

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
Thank You sharing I saved the info as well. I also already have that same torch from china and an etra rear light. Now that part is building the circuit board. I cant wait to have a bright light and not go thru batteries like crazy or pay big bucks.

ceetang

Jun 14, 2011
GREATER LA
I love your work LEDhead, but i was wondering whats hte info with the light you have? I read its chinese brand but do you mind linking me the ebay listing? my dad, brother and i are anxious to get started with our project.

LEDHead

Sep 6, 2009
Woodinville, WA
I captured screen shots of the head/tail light from the same seller that I got my light from. The high brightness LED I used to replace the stock LED and the LED driver are included as well. It is important to get the shown LED driver which uses the PT4115 IC so the LED can be dimmed. The seller's name is shown. I hope that you have some experience building electronic circuits because this project can be challenging.

If after researching all the parts needed you still want to proceed, let me know and I will post pics showing more details on how I built my light.

Have you finished building your motor bike?

Attachments

El Timon

Jul 28, 2011
Arizona
3w seams like it wouldn't be bright enough to use in areas w/out street lights. How many lumens is it, don't want to over-drive my head light.

bishop letov

Jul 3, 2011
Bucks County , Pennsylvania
I thought about doing the same thing for a while now. Was going to use a coil mounted to the shroud directly in the path of the flywheel magnet.. actually two coils and then use a circuit like that one to power lights and charge a 12v 4.5ah battery.

Thanks for the info and keep up the good work..

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I too would like to inquire as to the manufacture and sale of this system. I would by no means ever attempt to build this system myself or let any of my idiot friends near the electrical components of my bike. so, how much?

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
I just ignored the wimpy voltage that gets generated from the white wire, mainly because if you draw too much power from that system it robs power from your ignition system. I have mine set up with a forty watt halogen system with a high beam spot and a low beam flood. Its good for over an hour on low and about forty minutes on high. Its set up with Nickel–metal hydride battery and a plug in charger for the battery pack, so when I get home I plug it in the wall and forget it. It wont over charge the batteries because it has a built in circuit.

I did it by putting together two systems that I got at different times> the first was a battery pack I got from a old light I had that I had the light bar ripped off and the second was from a good light kit I got from Performance But it cam with a really wimpy battery pack. So I disassembled both of my old batterie sets and hooked them together and set them up with the good charger with the auto charge circuit. I have enough coiled wire to go from my rear pannier bag all the way to the headlight. It works really well.

If I don't bother to bring my heavy-duty light set I have a smaller LED system that I just strapped to my handlebar. I keep it in my messenger bag just in case I get caught in the dark. It's okay and I can see the road a bit, It's nothing like my other system though. With my big system I can actually see a good 20 feet or more ahead of me in pitch black

mike.

Last edited: