Mtns. FD Engine Braking?

GoldenMotor.com

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Whoaaa Nellie, Back er down, Back er down................................

Just got back from the Blue Ridge Parkway tooling around up there on my Friction Drive MB. When I got to the top of a ridge/mountain/hill, I noticed something.................

When I got to the top and let off on the throttle and I coasted down from the top, I got the drag from the roller and the clutch bell drum. However, when coasting down and then I goosed the throttle and let off, just enough to allow the clutch to kick in and grab the clutch bell drum, then i got then engine involved in the equation, thus using the engine as a braking mechanism as well. Wondering if this would hurt the engine? I know semi trucks do this when they down shift coming down a steep grade, however they have diesel engines.

Anyone know if this is an effective braking measure for the small weedeater/waterpump engines or does it do more harm than good? Thanks,

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Couple of things, if it's a 2 stroke, the engine isn't being lubed unless you are applying throttle. On a 4 stroke, unless you're really kicking it in and over-reving I don't think it will harm the engine but in either case, 2 or 4, you're probably taking some life out of the lightweight clutches. That's why I prefer the sprag rollers.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
A solid roller would be better for braking than the freewheeling roller. The freewheeling rollers lock up anyway. The FD designers should loose the Freewheeling mechanism or make it better so they don't lock up. If they choose to loose it, with the money they save they should add some sort of hardening to the rollers so they last longer.

Not sure how expensive it would be, but you know the diamonddust that they coat mitre saw tile blades with, that might be an option if not too costly.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Not going to hurt the tires at all.

Probably good for them as it will wear the leading edge to match the trailing edge.