Odometer, speed odometer, bike computer, does not work when engine is running

GoldenMotor.com

dan+1

Mar 5, 2011
Texas
OK guys I tried searching but not getting anything related to my question here,

Odometer, speed odometer, bike computer, does not work when engine is running.

I installed a old cateye endure 8 and it did not work when the engine runs.

I tried a bell computer also.

they both go whacky when i start running the engine, work fine under pedal power.

So do the magnetos on the lil china girl produce that much interference?
Is there a solution to the problem?

paparoach

May 7, 2009
Virginia
Move the CDI further from the speedometer or move the speedometer further from CDI. To much interference from CDI causes this to happen.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Hey Bro.

I use a wireless speedo on mine and moved my CDI to the seat post down tube, I tried the wired ones and never did get them working right on mine when the CDI was up front, I ordered the wireless type off ebay for around $10 - $12 if I remember right.

Peace

OK guys I tried searching but not getting anything related to my question here,

Odometer, speed odometer, bike computer, does not work when engine is running.

I installed a old cateye endure 8 and it did not work when the engine runs.

I tried a bell computer also.

they both go whacky when i start running the engine, work fine under pedal power.

So do the magnetos on the lil china girl produce that much interference?
Is there a solution to the problem?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Although I'm not a fan of resistance ignition wire or plugs for our bikes, some guys have had luck replacing the solid core high voltage lead from the CDI to the plug with TVRS wire. Almost all ignition wire sold today at auto parts stores is resistance wire.

Like Mapbike said, move the CDI to the seat tube, as far from the speedometer head as you can and make your plug wire as short as you can. That's always worked for me and I use the wired type.

Tom

dan+1

Mar 5, 2011
Texas
the spark wire in current configuration is not long enough to reach the seat tube. Under the tank did no good either.

I have spare a CDI in route now I will rewire it with a longer 8mm auto wire. Not going to experement until i have a back up unit as I don't want the bike to have down time. I ride between 5-20 miles everyday on this lil bike.

Any advice on how to re wire the spark plug i have not really looked at the CDI to see how it comes apart yet?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The plug wire simply unscrews from the CDI terminal post. Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosie.

I've read where some have encountered wires that were glued into the CDI but even they can be removed which will reveal a small threaded post that is the contact that you'll want to make sure goes into the core of whatever wire you use.
Tom

dan+1

Mar 5, 2011
Texas
Ok I got the speedo working now, I wired in my CDI right below my seat on the post. Replaced the stock wire with 8mm automotive wire.

Hard wired the in and protected it with heat shrink. Kill switch also went in line.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Good deal bro.

Glad to hear you got that speedo working, it's nice to be able to look down and know how fast you're moving and makes it nice to know how many miles you've got on the bike also.

Peace, H.C.C.

Ok I got the speedo working now, I wired in my CDI right below my seat on the post. Replaced the stock wire with 8mm automotive wire.

Hard wired the in and protected it with heat shrink. Kill switch also went in line.