Can A Suspension Fork Be Limited?

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Limiting A Suspension Fork's Travel
Is there any way of limiting a 100 mm suspension fork to about 25 mm?

I installed a 29er ROCKSHOX Dart 3 suspension fork on my 26" Diamondback frame. Everything fits well, except that I have my engine mounted ala Scooterguy. The Tanaka three-piece pipe I use runs over the top tube, then crosses under the down tube between the frame and the 29" tire. There is about 1" clearance there, before the suspension fork compresses and the pipe mashes against the Schwalbe Big Apple tire.

This ROCKSHOX fork has a lockout feature. When locked out, this fork becomes solid and unsuspended. I could use this feature and rely on the 29" tire's rebound. As a last resort, I COULD run a 26" tire with the 29er fork.

If I can limit the suspension fork's travel to 1", that much and the rebounding feature of the 29" fat tire should be enough for street use.

Has anyone limited their suspension fork's travel? I imagine I could install clamps on both tubes, but the metal clamps might distort the tube it clamps on. Then, when I remove the clamps, this new ROCKSHOX might ruin the top seals or not work at all. I COULD use rubber tubing and metal sleeves which clamp higher than 100 mm up the tube. That way, if the clamps distort or damage the suspension tubes, they won't destroy the fork's top seals.

Thoughts?:-||