Wanting to do a steam build on a tight budget

GoldenMotor.com

Dutchman Dick

Apr 24, 2011
Charlevoix, Michigan
I have two older mountain bikes, a Schwinn Mirada and a Huffy Snake Rock. I'd like to motorize one of them, mainly as an assist for going up hills. I've been leaning towards steam, partly because steam engines interest me, and partly because of the flexibility of fuel choices. As a machinist, I also know how to use a lathe and mill (I own a small mill, and would like to build a simple non-screwcutting lathe later this summer).

However, I am on a VERY tight budget. Is there any way to do this fairly inexpensively (whether scratch-built engine or converted gas engine/air compressor), while still retaining a decent margin of safety and reliability?

Would a simple "wobbler" type steam engine (possibly rigged to be double-acting) work?

I'm new to steam engines, although I have built high-pressure mechanical devices before (like an air rifle that incorporates an air reservoir tested to 1200 PSI, firing .45 caliber lead balls; the reservoir is 2mm sheet steel that was rolled, rivetted, brazed, then hydro-tested).

Can anybody help me out with this - plans, designs, experience, etc.? Due to cost, I'd prefer to not have to buy castings; plans, I can handle, as well as bar and sheet stock.

Thanks!

Rich K.

max350

Apr 10, 2010
Sweden, Örnsköldsvik
I have two older mountain bikes, a Schwinn Mirada and a Huffy Snake Rock. I'd like to motorize one of them, mainly as an assist for going up hills. I've been leaning towards steam, partly because steam engines interest me, and partly because of the flexibility of fuel choices. As a machinist, I also know how to use a lathe and mill (I own a small mill, and would like to build a simple non-screwcutting lathe later this summer).

However, I am on a VERY tight budget. Is there any way to do this fairly inexpensively (whether scratch-built engine or converted gas engine/air compressor), while still retaining a decent margin of safety and reliability?

Would a simple "wobbler" type steam engine (possibly rigged to be double-acting) work?

I'm new to steam engines, although I have built high-pressure mechanical devices before (like an air rifle that incorporates an air reservoir tested to 1200 PSI, firing .45 caliber lead balls; the reservoir is 2mm sheet steel that was rolled, rivetted, brazed, then hydro-tested).

Can anybody help me out with this - plans, designs, experience, etc.? Due to cost, I'd prefer to not have to buy castings; plans, I can handle, as well as bar and sheet stock.

Thanks!

Rich K.
Here is a Swedish steam cycle

http://translate.google.com/transla.../happymtb.org/forum/read.php/1/862979&act=url

happymtb :: [Ångcykel, nu med video] Vad är det här för något då? :: sveriges trevligaste cykelforum

Attachments

Last edited:

Dutchman Dick

Apr 24, 2011
Charlevoix, Michigan
Hmmm... it would help if I could understand Swedish. Also, I want to build it in such a way that the pedals can still be used. Maybe something along the lines of the Hudspith or Vesuvius. I know the Vesuvius is out of production (and used castings anyway), but what about the Hudspith?