What to do with Yard sale $2.00 Ryobi 4 stroke.

GoldenMotor.com

SpiderSpartan

Jul 29, 2008
Cincinnati
The easiest thing to do would be to set up a friction roller drive. Just mount the engine over your rear tire and attach a roller to the drive shaft that will spin the tire. I'm in the middle of working on a chain drive system using a homelite weed eater engine and it's turning out to be a little more complicated than I initially thought. It just kind of depends on how much time and money you're willing to put into it and what you want to use it for. Good luck.

Nashville Geoff

Jul 29, 2008
I'd have to have an interest in that question, as I picked up a Ryobi 4 stroke weedeater last night, too... I'm going to start off by seeing if it's toast, or worth working with. Let's keep in touch.

Geoff, Senior Gearhead

LordMaximo

Aug 31, 2008
High Plains Desert, Roy UT
I would setup a jack shaft and transfer the drive to the front sprocket and drive the rear gear cluster. Since it already has a pull start and a built in clutch, you can remove the peddles and have a simple motor bike.:ride2:

Maximo

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
I would setup a jack shaft and transfer the drive to the front sprocket and drive the rear gear cluster. Since it already has a pull start and a built in clutch, you can remove the peddles and have a simple motor bike.:ride2:

Maximo

Thanks for the advise LordMaximo, I've been pondering on what to do with that eng, I'll probably familiarize myself with jackshaft application....and build something one of these days.

jimraysr

Apr 19, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Only problem with removing the peddles is, you are no longer a motor assisted bicycle and are in the license / insurance / lighting / driver license world.

Jim

Maximo

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
Only problem with removing the peddles is, you are no longer a motor assisted bicycle and are in the license / insurance / lighting / driver license world.

Jim
THat depends on what state you are in. For instance in Mass if you are under 50cc you can just get the tag- $40 and no insurance required, and all you need is a regular driver's license. That include, motorized bikes, mopeds, scooters and even gopeds. Mass loves to regulate and get their cut in fees. :ride2:

jimraysr

Apr 19, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I guess I will stay in AZ and keep the peddles. ) We also can carry a gun in case we run into a rattlesnake. Either no legs or the two leg kind.

Is the tag permanent like for our utility trailers or do you have to get them yearly?

Definite advantages of living beyond the reaches of civilization.

Jim

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
$40 for 2 years...

Occasionally I wish I were back up in Maine where I grew up and pretty much there was no law, town I grew up in had no town cop, sheriff drove through occasionally, but he had the whole county to cruise and Washington County is pretty large. Few troopers were around, but they didn't care much about us riding mopeds, atv or whatever on the road they cared more about the guy growing weed down the street.

I think about that then I think about having a job and since jobs are scare up there i"m glad to be down here and dealing with a piddly $40 and a few m@sshole drivers. I'll retire up there for sure, but for now, I got to pay my dues, even if it means living in Mass- the tax and fee state. I'm glad they let me drive the thing on the road legally though, it could be worse I could live in a state where they like to stifle human ingenuity.

jimraysr

Apr 19, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Spent a couple of weeks in Bangor (1989) when our daughter and grand kids lived there. They had a basement with a running spring (very cold), wood fired heating boiler and domestic water heater, 750 gallon oil backup. A well out back. Pretty self contained. Very much liked that, but the six foot wall of ice and snow along the drive during the winter turned me off.

That was the same year we hit 122 degrees F.

Watch your head when you drive the "Big Dig" !

Problem of the day, how to generate power for lighting from the GXH50?

Jim