Michigan Wolverine Bike

GoldenMotor.com

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
i got this bike together finally. The motor is not broken in and is pretty hard to start with the jack shaft system. After it's loosened up should be much easier. i didnt use the chain guard cause i thought it looked better without it. still have to solve the air cleaner issue due to space limitations.

Attachments

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Nice build, I would suggest moving the shifter to the left side of your handlebars though. It is tough to modulate the throttle and shift at the same time with the same hand.

Radmanfly

Jul 28, 2008
Oswego, NY
www.farleysradiator.com
Looks great!

Love to hear some more details about the way it runs, shifts etc. What gear ratios are you running? Getting a good low gear? Top end? What cruising speed is best at what rpm with your gear ratio setup? I'm doing my homework to build a future jack shaft setup here. I personally like the idea of front and rear disc, dual suspension, 9 speeds & jackshaft, or perhaps a nu vinci rear hub and jack shaft. Perhaps a 4 stroke instead of a 2. I realize I could buy a harley for what it would cost but I like the challenge of working out all the design conflicts and making it all work. A whole lot of new stuff is hitting the market right now....time to dream big and visualize that ultimate set up.

Hey, is there a thread on that yet? Looks awsome! keep us posted! -Scott

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Your best bet is first gear. What gear your in really doesn't matter but what you want to avoid is trying to turn the engine over and propel the bike at the same time. That puts more force on the front freewheel. You just want to get the bike moving a little faster than the speed you are pedaling to start the motor.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Is kick starting still fairly easy with the kit? you know, the whole "pick back of bike up, push on pedal to spin motor and start bike" routine....

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
Nice build, I would suggest moving the shifter to the left side of your handlebars though. It is tough to modulate the throttle and shift at the same time with the same hand.
i was thinking that same thing, cause the 'reach over' shift method is fairly awkward, sure can;'t shift like that bike in the queensryke,(can't spell) vid

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
Is kick starting still fairly easy with the kit? you know, the whole "pick back of bike up, push on pedal to spin motor and start bike" routine....
with a new, tight engine it's still hard to start for me. don't have enough power to 'kick, like a dirtbike, but like ghost0 suggests, rolling along, stand up and kick down 3 or 4 times.

btw, you got a good ride to work (video) jasonh, looked like rainy weather in the video

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
You almost have the start process down however I must caution you against "kicking" down to start it. That puts a lot of stress on the front freewheel that it was not designed for. I will try and explain my method clearly. Yes get the bike moving at a decent pace in 1st gear, prop the crank for your preferred leg up at about 45 degrees, get off the seat and put your weight on the pedal of that crank, as it starts to turn I get back on the seat and just keep pedaling through. Once the engine starts to turn over it is pretty easy to continue pedaling. Hope this helps. Good job on the install BTW, nice looking ride.

Just an FYI Queensryche

BudFreed

Feb 22, 2010
Clarkston, MI
Hi, I am new to this I just built my first gas bike and I am having some issues and I am looking for someone in my area to help. I am in Oakland co. Michigan, I see you are in Michigan what part of the state are you?

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
Hi, I am new to this I just built my first gas bike and I am having some issues and I am looking for someone in my area to help. I am in Oakland co. Michigan, I see you are in Michigan what part of the state are you?
Hi Bud, I am on the other side of the state but am occasionly in your area, I have non motorized bike friends that live in Holly. They ride in Clarkston periodically and ride in the parades there. If your around the Detroit Autorama this weekend swing through the bike show and look for the Freak Bike Militia display and introduce yourself, me and my friends will be there all weekend...Kellyusflg