Springer fork and drum brake

GoldenMotor.com

kojak

Feb 2, 2011
I'm using a basic Schwinn repro fork and a Sturmey-Archer front drum. I've anchored the brake arm to the fork using a tough steel P-clip, but there's a distinct pull to the left under braking as the arm transfers power to that side of the fork and tries to turn the bike. Is there any way to reduce this brake steer?

I should mention that my fork is a little bit crooked from a crash, and I'm about to replace it with a Sunlite springer.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I can't imagine how that would happen. There would have to be something broken for that to happen. You can only get brake pull when there's two wheels with a brake differential, i.e.; 1 wet brake, 1 dry. To actually bend the fork enough to affect direction....somethings broken :p

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Yeah. I think its the springer. You could test that by mounting the drum wheel on a rigid fork and see if the braking pull goes away.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I agree,,,the fork is bad/weak, causing this problem

I have over 20K miles on my XFD drum wheel,,,90% have been with a springer fork,,,
I have never felt it pull to either side

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
It sounds like the fork is twisting under braking load and/or the fork is tweaked from the crash.

kojak

Feb 2, 2011
There weren't any visibly bent components after my spill, but once I pulled the fork off I found a banana shaped bend in the steer tube.

What's the best way to secure the drum brake arm to the springer fork?