Soon to have 70cc and jackshaft kit

GoldenMotor.com

gadgetman80

Jul 2, 2008
Mio MI
I think I'm going to use this bike as my first build with a Dax 70cc with a shaft kit from SBP. It's a 26" Freespirit with a shimano "3S" rear hub. I picked up the bike along with 2 others at a yard sale a few weeks ago for $5.

The trailer was purchased at a different yardsale down the road for $10 bucks.

Does anyone see any issues I might have with this build that wouldn't be obvious to someone new to the hobby?

Of course the brakes will be upgraded, and the tires replaced, but other than that am I missing anything?

Attachments

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
the shimano 3s might be a little weak. change it for a sturmey archer or something modern

also the cottered cranks will have to go.

gadgetman80

Jul 2, 2008
Mio MI
The kit comes with everything you need.

Taken from SBP website:

1. Cranks, spindle, front freewheel, dual sprocket and chain-ring assembly.

2. Jackshaft mounting plates including bearings, axle, sprockets, chain and mounting hardware.

3. Rear motor mount including all hardware.

~end quote~

Will I need to purchase this conversion kit to replace my "cotter crank", or does the kit have what I need for the conversion?

Bike Tools Etc. - 1000's of bicycle tools and parts for the home mechanic!

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
You'll need to give the bike a good going over. Relube and rebuild as necessary.

I can't speak for the hub...does it work OK now? You may as well try it without great expectations. If it takes a dump, then upgrade.

Indeed the cotter cranks will go and you won't need the conversion kit - just take the old cranks off and take the gland nut off.....of course this comes with a little dose of "your mileage may vary". If for example your crank bearings are shot or someone got funky in there.....then you will need to renew.

gadgetman80

Jul 2, 2008
Mio MI
Everything seems to be in working order, I've got 50+ miles on the bike pulling the kids around in the trailer. I've pulled all bearings apart and relubed when I got the bike, seems to be pretty fluid thus far. I figure on ordering my parts for this bike on the 18th and just wanna make sure that I order everything I need at the same time. Don't want to be missing that last important part to get me riding.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I hear you. It certainly does pay to be prepared.....OTOH - every motor install is different. Engineering creativity and flexibility come in very handy. Just know that something will be goofy, and it's your job to find it. And when you do, there will be something else you didn't plan for!!

This next week, read the threads, study the pictures, look at and learn the manuals that are posted on line. This was one of our intentions of posting our manual online...people can study and get familiar before they buy AND while the kit is on the way they can know the steps in detail.