The project begins

GoldenMotor.com

SpiderSpartan

Jul 29, 2008
Cincinnati
I'm not sure. I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot it yet. When I pull the pull cord it sounds like it's trying to start, but it never quite gets there. The guy I got it from said that the engine started, but that the string didn't spin. So, could be a bad clutch. Would that keep it from starting now or do you think it's just been sitting too long?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
my guess and it is just that is that it fired for him. If it fired but couldn't get enough revs up the clutch wouldn't spin.

Here is what I would do.

1.Empty out his gas probably been in too long.
2.Put an ounce or two of new gasoline/oil mix in
3.give it a generous spray or two of carb cleaner into the gas tank.
4.Take the plug wire loose and pull that through the carb several times.
5.That should clean the gunk out of the carb.
6.Pour any gas left in the tank out
7.put in a couple of ounces of new gas into the tank
8.put the spark plug wire back on
9.try to start it (follow the starting directions ie choke settings).

If it doesn't start but tries you can repeat the steps, then if it still won't start go from there.

My experience is that the carb is most often gunked from leaving gas in it over the winter. Replacing the spark plug usually isn't necessary but it would be my number two move. I think most of the lawn mower shops rebuild the carb when it isn't really necessary.

My guess is that it will start up for you.

Last edited:

SpiderSpartan

Jul 29, 2008
Cincinnati
Thanks a lot. I picked up some carb cleaner at lunch and I'll try that tonight. One more question for now. Any idea how much speed I could get out of this setup? looks like the engine might be about 1HP.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The ryobi, if new, would have really good compression. My 31cc if I could get it out to open it up probably would do over twenty miles an hour easy. Maybe closer to 25 which is plenty for me.

It drops substantially on a hill but goes too fast downhill to keep pulling. I have to cut back on the throttle going downhill and often have to pull the clutch to stop the whine.

if you pedal some when you do right turns and things like that it will kick right back up there. Four or five quick turns of the pedals does wonders for the speed.

SpiderSpartan

Jul 29, 2008
Cincinnati
SUCCESS!!! Thanks for the advise deacon. I sprayed the carb cleaner in like you said a couple times. It acted like it wanted to start but couldn't quite make it. So I brought it back inside and took the spark plug out. It looked a little gunky, so I cleaned it and took it back outside. After that it started right up. The drive shaft was spinning too. Not sure if that's because there was no load on it or not. Next step is either building the engine cradle or or attaching the sprocket to the drive shaft. I think I'm leaning toward the latter.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well good luck, I'm glad it wasn't anything more serious. Can you imagine taking that to a repair shot. That was a fifty dollar carb rebuild you just did....

Ranger

Aug 7, 2008
All little engines just need to be started every week, that will keep everything in good running order. Glad you got it to run.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
about the only part that goes bad from storage is the carb and it usually just gets gunked up . At least that is how it seems to me. My dad used to call it shellacing

If I left mine alone and didn't constantly try to make it better, it would probably never need anything done to it at all.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Add a little Sea Foam, or Stabil to your gas. I can start my weed wacker in one pull after a long winter. Don't use more than recommended, and use half the recommended amount if you run the engines semi-frequently.

SpiderSpartan

Jul 29, 2008
Cincinnati
OK, so now that the engine runs I need to start thinking of basic design. I have the crank sprocket and the cassette from another bike, but I'm not sure either of those will give me quite the results I want. Anyone know where I could get a small sprocket for about $10?

jonboy2five

Jul 23, 2008
spring tx horth suburb of houston
he is right STABIL works great but dont use much..."shellacking" is the term for gasoline evaporating in an unused carb. the residue clogs jets (especially the little idle ones) and makes it a pain to start...

Last edited by a moderator: