New Hobby

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Once i finish the current builds (I have two going) I am going to move on to a new hobby. I started with the bike as a way to get my errands run, since My wife has threatened to call the highway patrol if I don't stop driving. (medical issues not alcohol)

I got carried away with it for sure. Now I have a weed whacker bike and a chain saw bike to finish. I am going to keep one and do something with the other. I might not even finish the chainsaw one. I want a friction drive just to putz around with. The 31cc when it is working is all I need. The china bike is more reliable at the moment so I am using it to run those pesky errands which are mostly buying bike parts for the weed whacker or chain saw bike.

I have a shop full of parts for elec bikes and odds and ends as well. But that is a different story.

So give me your suggestions. Before I got involved with bikes I converted cameras. Butchered mostly. Oh yeah I used to write a little as well. So those have been done any other suggestions I am willing to consider.

Well not skydiving. skateboarding or anything else that takes a lot of balance as mine is shot.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Well lets see Deacon, you could take up a musical instrument. You don't have to be concert quality. But it can lots of fun. Sometimes I'll learn a new song and play it for my wife. She always says "What is that song, it doesn't sound familiar". I don't know if she just doesn't appreciate good music or if I'm really that bad.

Hey, I got an idea. How about start a bicycle delivery service. Seems like I read where a guy did that one time.............................:D:D

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Hummmmm the gardening my dad did as his hobby,. I live on a postage stamp sized lot. I could grow stuff but it would have to be in my front yard.

bike messenger my god i would have to work.....

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
My property is not very big as well thats why i say landscape gardening i had to think of ways to make the space more usable,

Plus i don't have to buy my wife flowers because i grow some that can be cut and brought inside! (^):D

But i am definitely going to incorporate electric trains at some point!^5

I love anything with wheels and a motor makes it even better!!! :crash:

Last edited:

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
hmmm, no more moto bicycle building...well, lets see, may i suggest a bit of calculus to fiddle around with. if not, you could always look at belly button lint under a microscope! lol

seriously though, no more moto bike building? you'll be sorry.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Deacon you don't need balance for skydiving, it's just falling after all :)

You could get a telescope and check out the stars. maybe connect a camera to it and take some cool space photos?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
To get good photos you would need a HUGE telescope. I'm poor...

Marc I am supposed to be dead like ten years ago, then a second doctor for a second reason about five years ago said weeks not months and I fooled them all.

All that for this story.

Mother's day two years ago I bought my wife two rose bushes so she would always have roses from me even after the end came. So one of them just took off and now covers half the front of my house. The other one died so I bought a third bush last mother's day. I planted it in the middle of the largest drought in years. It is almost dead.

Now she tells me I can't die till i get that rose bush to live as I promised her I would do. I personally think she is poisoning it to keep me around. It would be nice to think so anyway.

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah docotorsd know less than nothing, A good freind of mines father had two weeks to live and lived for 25 years LOL.

Other people I know get a clean bill of health and kick the bucket two weeks later Like my mother, full batterry of blood tests and just colapeses two weeks later DEAD just like that!

Anouther freind father jogs every day very heathy bam drops dead while jogging from a heart attack!

Live life like every day ilike it is the last that is the only safe bet.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Oh I try, but most things are out of my reach physically or financially but I stuff all i can into a day. On that you can count for sure.

Still looking for a hobby though.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
You could get a $100 welder from Harbor Freight and take up welding as a hobby :)

Or get an oxy-acetylene torch kit and weld/cut/bend metal to make lawn art.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Deacon doesn't need welding equipment. The guy can build sculptures out of pvc. I was always hoping he would build a complete bicycle out of PVC..............

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I tried that "live every day like it was my last" idea but I nearly got arrested... I won't even mention the pharmacy incident. But really, I've had so many close calls I can't list them here. I did take up gardening, and this summer we are eating lots of fresh veggies. That small pastime has saved us money, kept me out of trouble and given me great contentment... Now where is that clutch removal tool for the Puch?