Anybody here

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Has anyone here tried to run a scooter motor on AC current. I have found a small generator on ebay that runs 800 watts ac continually not peak. Its cheaper than a lithium battery and it will fit in my trailer. So could I just hook it up to my motor and have it run.

I'm asking here before I just cut a lamp cord off and try it on an spare motor. They are brushed I just don't know if they require dc to run.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
That was kind of my feeling but, it still might be worth looking into a small ac motor. I mean friction drive will run with anything that turns. Could even use common household rheostat as a throttle.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay now I'm thinking router motor, with the smallest portable generator I can find. I know rube Goldberg, If the chainsaw bike doesn't work, I might give this a try. It would solve the only problem I have with the slower ebike that is the range not the speed.

Talk about eating a tire up. A router at 25k rpm would do a number on a tire. Maybe not a router.

I just realized I'm trying to reinvent the wheel lol. Back to my chainsaw build if the motor ever comes in

Last edited:

LI-ghtcycle

Mar 28, 2010
Oregon
Don't give up! I think that is not a bad idea at all! Just think of it in similar terms of the Chevy Volt, in that it is an electric car that has a generator motor extend it's range.

You might just have the generator feed a NiMH or old NiCa battery pack, or even lead if you want to go the cheap but heavy route, if you keep those batteries charged up (much like an alternator does with a car battery) they will last a good long while, and hey like you said, cheaper than Lithium!

IIRC the Prius has been doing this from the start with NiMH batteries, and just now they are going lithium. The only difficulty I see is switching back and forth between AC and DC, I know you could just run off the generator with an AC motor, I have an old craftsman variable speed drill that was even made in the USA I bought in the early 90's (imagine that! :p) that is still going strong! Maybe you could use the motor out of that, it is solid as the day is long, I used it the way you would use an air motor angle grinder and it never got hot much less burned up, not sure what RPM's it has, but you can always do a simple reduction with #25 chain, and add a jack shaft if you need more than a 10 to 1 reduction.
zpt.elec. Just don't shock yourself in the process! :oops:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I broke the chainsaw actually two of them. It looks like its either buy a premade kit, or rethink ebikes. I have two ebikes that do everything I could want except have the range to get me all over town if I should ever want to do it. I love friction drive so I don't have a problem with that, it's just that I remember how much crap can go wrong with a gasoline motor. I am at the age now where I want to ride when I pull the bike out, not adjust it over and over.

If I want to ride ten miles to my daughter's house then turn around and come back, I want to be able to do it. I probably won't be here to see it, but someday they will really figure all this out and life will be good for bike riders. Well maybe not good but better.

My guess is that it will come in changeable battery packs standardized so that service stations can switch them for ten bucks. Packs that last fifty miles. Allow to full your trunk with them for a trip, then drop them off when you get home.

Last edited:

LI-ghtcycle

Mar 28, 2010
Oregon
If I may be so bold, my friend, that day has already arrived. The price however, is that of Lithium battery.

I can tell you that I am able to go more than 50 miles on mine, and depending on how much you want to pedal, and how fast you need to go, you can really do as much as you want (or your wallet can handle).

I have been having good success with this beauty:

Here's my build thread:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21173&start=60

Total added weight to bike, 5 - 10 lbs depending on how much battery you need, I use about 15lbs total (drive and battery), but I also went 53 miles the other day and only used 2/3's of my battery pack.

I am setting up a demo bike with this drive at the local bike shop to try and promote the product (I can't do a regular 9 to 5 because of my condition) so hopefully building electrics will work for me.

Don't just take my word for it though, there are others building them too.

If you do decide to try this, just make sure that you follow the recommendations on motor and and battery voltage. After building a few hub motors I thought I "knew" what I was doing using way too much voltage and burned up a motor and controller.

I was spinning my rear tire at 62 MPH no load speed!! :eek:

And I was fine (not using full throttle because it was SCARY fast acceleration!!) on the flat, but after hitting about 36MPH at warp speed I backed off my dial-throttle (servo tester, no return spring hehe) and then thought I was doing ok.

Then I went up a local 8% hill was flying past some poor sod slugging up the hill at 20MPH, when I let out the magic smoke! :oops:

Now that I have the correct motor, voltage and controller, I can do the same hill at 16MPH with moderate pedaling and a bike that weights only about that of a walmart bike (41 lbs).

Here is the youtube vid of the TV show "the new inventors" with the maker of the drive:

YouTube - Kepler_Drive_on_New_Inventers.wmv

If you have any more questions, I can send you some other links of other guys building their own with this kit.

Dayn

Last edited: