better open up yer new hoot chainbox!!

GoldenMotor.com

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I boutght this kit with Titan motor from BGF and I was ready to recieve the Hoot gearbox I thought I saw in the E-bay ad, and try my hand at hardening, indexing and shimming the gears.

I got the single #25 chainbox instead. What a letdown. the gears hafta be stronger than this thing!

Anyways, When I pulled the cover, I discovered that they had assembled this box with 15mm internal toothed washers on the secondary gearshaft as spacers. They distorted the bearing seal enough that it fell off!

I removed the bearing and reversed it for the good seal and made a proper spacer with 10mm ID and 13mm od.

This box does have it's own 2 bearings for clutch bell support though.

What is the prognosis for longivity for the chain if I run oil in this box?

DSC_1360.JPG

DSC_1359.JPG

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Yeah that style of washer against the bearing seal defiantly looks way wrong. If the chain is going through a oil bath? I would bet that would at least double the life on it. I don't know if you can seal that up tho?

Being the chain box is covered no dirt contamination will grow on the chain. With that said life is already doubled more than most other chains. Such as the average the H.T.

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Gonna try it with oil and a vented fill plug mod. There's double sealed bearings at the clutch bell, and output shaft, and a gasket on the cover.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
My apologies Wayne z I am not familiar with all these gear boxes but I am paying a lot more attention to them these days. As I am seriously considering a build sometime.