what is a good carb

GoldenMotor.com

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
you'll find several threads answering your exact question, we've had enough repeats if you just search around you will find lots. the usual are SPEED. NT, CNS, Dellorto, etc.

cheers,
Vistaman73 brnot

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Actually Vista, given the ongoing debates regarding what's the "best" carby - he wont find a clear answer lol, as so much depends on what he wants...

For sheer simplicity & reliability, w/o a doubt it's the old school NT carby. While the "Speed" carb was supposed to be an improvement, in my opinion they botched the job and it seems a problematic, leaky carb w/o any performance increase - the addition of a second fuel petcock on the side kinda silly and as it's plastic & rubber, deteriorates quickly when exposed to ethanol.

The Mikuni or Dellorto carbs are w/o a doubt the "best" but are a touch pricey, a bit complcated for the inexperienced, while not difficult you'll hafta determine which one is best suited & jet it appropriately.

Even the CNS isn't a clear cut topic, to make matters even more confusing - the "CNS" included with the 2010 Grubees isn't the same CNS offered as an aftermarket upgrade - while it seems folks are having all sortsa problems with the kit-included "CNS" the one I purchased to add to my motor has been one of the best carbys I've had - but it did require a bit of fiddling around lol

So... in all honesty for all around "best performance" it may actually be the old NT, but again - it so depends on application & expectation ;)

Last edited:

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
tavares florida "lake county"
what is a good carberator for a upgrade from the cheap one brnot
for a novice/begginer (to the 2stroke game) such as myself...i'd have to say

1= its complete no missin parts
2= it is void of all casting flash internally as well as externally
3= it slides on the intake tube all the way to the internal stop, thus avoiding any air-leakage/vacumm leak issues
4= its installed so that its as level as possible with regards to engine mounting and reducing the potential for float issues
5= the slide, needle,retainer,spring, top cap,throttle cable are double checked and all move smoothly with no sharp bends, and are lubricated
6= the choke operates correctly
7= an inline filter has been installed, no kinks in fuel line
8= your tank was inspected, blown out, rinsed, etc.. prior to installation
9= your pet-cock (i love that word!) allows sufficient fuel to flow and you close it off after shutdown
10=the operator understands that these lil pos' are very finicky, and require very small frequent adjustments, especially during initial break in period
11= all fastners on intake and exhaust must be checked before and after each start up
12= gaskets and flanges are seated correctly (i suggest some "indian head/permatex gasket shelac (very tacky) be used as it will seep into the gaskets and help them conform to the mating surfaces. remember i said these things are finicky
13=a carb that you have already payed for and have taken every step, measure to maximize it to its fullest potential before trashin it and spending money for another one and possibly having the same results due to not following the fore mentioned suggestions, and all tutorals on these here boards (that don't cost you a dime!)
14= patience, thought, attention to the most miniscule detail.....remmember once again, you are playin with a mass produced low tolorence pos that you will only get out of it what you are willing to put into it!....

this rant was bought to you by a 50 yo old teen-ager who has learned from the experiences of others, both before me as well as people i meet daily...have fun... ask questions....put thoughts into actions....share your results with others for the better good......mr.charlie....dnut

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
I'm just wondering why a guy who's name is 'thegasbikeexpert' even has to ask? laff
???????...whats the point?...or should i ask "whats in a screen name"....the guy's a "newbie" as am i....he's got 8 posts!.....YOUR A VENDOR?...WHO OFFERS,SELLS GOODS TO PEOPLE ON HERE?...AND YOU TAKE LIBERTY TO CHASTISE A POTENTIAL CUSTOMER FOR YOUR PLEASURE?...i have noticed what i percieve as a very harsh bitter condecending way about you on quite a few threads......i'll keep my purchases to the guy in clearwater florida.....nuff said.........

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I'm primed to do a comparison here- just got the NT Speed carb on the bike, but haven't started it up-

The big difference seemed to be the billet intake- after that the other kit carb ran so well it's been almost a year of the Speed laying around- the billet intake is now even shorter they claim- good idea- needs frame clearance and it really seems to help getting the carb up next to the motor-

I'll dredge this up when I've tested it and let you know- rain predicted today.

thegasbikeexpert

Nov 26, 2010
ct
???????...whats the point?...or should i ask "whats in a screen name"....the guy's a "newbie" as am i....he's got 8 posts!.....YOUR A VENDOR?...WHO OFFERS,SELLS GOODS TO PEOPLE ON HERE?...AND YOU TAKE LIBERTY TO CHASTISE A POTENTIAL CUSTOMER FOR YOUR PLEASURE?...i have noticed what i percieve as a very harsh bitter condecending way about you on quite a few threads......i'll keep my purchases to the guy in clearwater florida.....nuff said.........
thanks for haveing my backr.ly.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I believe Venice was trying to add a little humor to the thread...relax, he is a good guy.

I like the stock carbs but if I had to choose a aftermarket carb it would be the Dellorto. I have yet to have a after market carb out perform the stock carbs with a little work.

But the Dellorto worked the best but for the cost I can get a stock carb to perform about the same. These little motors can only take so much fuel and air in the combustion chamber and the stock carbs seem to delivery plenty.

It just takes time and effort to tune your carb, something you will have to do with any aftermarket carb anyways. You may get lucky and be able to just bolt it on and do nothing...but that rarely happens.

Check out all the winning bikes from DR, most are all running stock carbs, that should tell you something.

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
thegasbikeexpert, Let me apologize. I gave you a very rude and empty answer to your question. This site is growing everyday, and most people have the same questions, I'll admit the search isn't popular or very noticeable, but it works wonders. Although you have received many helpful answers I went and found some threads that you should try reading. Most are ongoing discussions about people who own different carbs.

http://motorbicycling.com/f4/cns-carburetor-5437.html
http://motorbicycling.com/f34/inside-2010-grubee-skyhawk-cns-carb-25062.html
http://motorbicycling.com/f51/nt-vs-racing-carb-vs-cnc-24721.html
http://motorbicycling.com/f51/speed-carb-upgrade-20624.html

Cheers,
Vistaman73

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
thanks for haveing my backr.ly.
you got it kid.......the best advice i can give you from my own first build (just last week) is not to rush or take short cuts....TAKE YOUR TIME!...THE END RESULT WILL BE WORTH IT!....i took a whole week....a few hours each nite...mockin up/and securin the powerplant is the single most important step as everythin else is dependant on it....the second most is the rear gear instalation...i chose to remove the dust cap and used aircraft tinsnips to trim the edge off..it was faster/safer than grinding it and it did not distort or cut my finger tips...and i was fortunate where i only had to file just a small amount around the inside of the gear....it went on as if pressfitted and was "true"...everythin else just fell into place....an the biggest thrill was she fired off an ran first time i let out the clutch.....and it just gets better each 20 minute breakin ride......get to work!.......

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
thegasbikeexpert, Let me apologize. I gave you a very rude and empty answer to your question. This site is growing everyday, and most people have the same questions, I'll admit the search isn't popular or very noticeable, but it works wonders. Although you have received many helpful answers I went and found some threads that you should try reading. Most are ongoing discussions about people who own different carbs.

http://motorbicycling.com/f4/cns-carburetor-5437.html
http://motorbicycling.com/f34/inside-2010-grubee-skyhawk-cns-carb-25062.html
http://motorbicycling.com/f51/nt-vs-racing-carb-vs-cnc-24721.html
http://motorbicycling.com/f51/speed-carb-upgrade-20624.html

Cheers,
Vistaman73
nice!..............

Slowrollers

Sep 8, 2010
downers grove Il
A 15 mm SHA dellorto carb might fit the stock intake I haven't measured it yet...Has anyone?? I have a sky hawk 66cc gt 5.....

What I would really like to upgrade to is a 20mm VM mikuni .This is the carb I use on a 70 cc that I have= Lots of low end power....Jet changing and needle setting is so easy ie.easy to tune....But this will need a custom intake....

skiball83

Nov 18, 2010
Chicago
I have a "stock CNS" and a regular NT. The only thing I noticed is that the CNS properly set up is a little smoother in the mid range. WOT there is no differance between the two, at least non that I have noticed. If your running your motor stock a regular ol NT should be plenty of a carb. I actually prefer the NT because there is one less cable going to the handle bars and it works just fine. If you need adjustment and have aftermarket parts like a expansion chamber then you may consider a CNS or better carb. Just my 2 cents, but who knows Im just a newb keeping up with traffic with an NT and a drilled out muffler. xct2

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
venice that was funny i actualy and to laugh at that one just for the irony man and really guys learn to take a joke man