Can this frame be repaired for motorized bicycle use?

GoldenMotor.com

Three-Wire

Aug 12, 2010
Goddard, KS
I picked up a really cheap Schwinn Heavy Duty crusier frame at a swap meet and thought I was lucky. As I was stripping parts off to refinish the frame, I found some damage to the dropouts under the kickstand. This is what is looks like after stripping off the finish. Sorry for the poor quality of the cell-phone photo.

The hole is a puncture, not corrosion. I'm thinking I can weld the hole shut and maybe fill in the dents too, then just grind the fill down to keep things pretty.

Should I try fix it, or should I scrap it and find a different frame?

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Re: Can this frame be repaired for MB use?

yikes! someone went a little nuts tightening the kickstand...

if you're a competent welder, it should be fixable. if you're thinking JB weld, don't.

basically, it's up to you decide if you think it's safe enough when you're going 30mph+.

if you're thinking of building it to sell, don't. it's not worth the risk.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

As Bairdco said weld it or have it welded. DO NOT use any type of glue (JB Weld) or any metal filler product. If you want a pedal bike, fill the damage and ride it. If you want to motorize it, then fix it right. Weld it, or have it welded by a professional.
Tom

Last edited:

Three-Wire

Aug 12, 2010
Goddard, KS

Thanks guys. I'm building it for me, not for resale. Competent may be a stretch, but I had a little training in gas welding about a year ago. The picture is my last sample piece from that class... Not perfect, but not awful either.

I'd never use JB weld on something like this... It's non-structural only. About as useful as bondo, but easier to mix in small quantities. :)

I've got torches and equipment for gas welding at home but no bottles. In January I'll get some and take a crack at welding this frame, but until then I'm going to shelve this project and focus on my wife's Monark. Between now and when I get back on this project, I'll be on the lookout for another frame.

Attachments

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska

some one had the wrong kind of kick stand that kept slipping around

i would just get another frame really dude a bare frame usually isnt to bad of cost when i build a bike i prefere a bare frame instead of fixing problems as they come out

Thud

May 26, 2010
West Michigan

Sounds like you have welding skills, I say fix it. & add a nice box guset to strengthen the area.