Possible stereotyping???

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
It's been cold in the morning here in the old Circle City, so I've been wearing my old biker jacket to work sometimes. Other days, I either take it off after work, or I wear something else.

When I DON"T wear the biker jacket, as I hobble into work on my crutches, visitors and new people will ask "What happened to you?" in an innocent enough tone that I feel comfortable enough to explain it to them.

When I DO wear the biker jacket, they say "Motorcycle accident?" and I just say "Yeah, the other guy wasn't lookin'". Then they just nod, and that's all.

But what if I'd really fallen off a roof, or been mauled by a stray dog? That whole scenario above wouldn't work then, would it? Yet that old jacket, by coincidence alone, provides the correct visual cue. Hmmm... :)

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Oh,and - yes - I did look on the back of it. The jacket is in excellent condition. There are no long deep gouges from the pavement to give it away, no tire marks. They're just lookin' at the jacket. This is a perfect way to study how people can jump to conclusions. Thing is: they're right this time. Go figure :)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Next time wear a playboy jacket and try telling them you had to jump out a window when you girlfriends husband came home.

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
My favorite- pocket t-shirts that have been worn and washed so many times, resulting in many little holes and tears in the back of the t-shirt
from taking the t-shirt off and putting back on so many times. I always wear these type of t-shirts when bike riding in the summer. It gives the shotgun
blast to the back effect. People always want to know where they could
purchase one of them at.

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
When the kids see me in my jeans, they say "you're cool for an old guy". I ain't cool, I just bought these jeans at WalMart in 1987, thats all.