155 miles to Virginia University

GoldenMotor.com

Eal111

Oct 20, 2010
Columbia, Maryland
Hello All,
Im new to the forums as well as new to motorized bicycles. My 66c Skyhawk kit should be arriving in the mail saturday and I plan to spend all day building it and wearing it in. I thought it would be nice to visit my childhood friend in Virginia. I live in Maryland and it looks like im the only one in my county that will have a motorized bicycle so I won't have anyone riding with me. I plan on leaving Nov 12 and staying up there for the weekend so I'll be leaving in 3 weeks. I'm using google maps bicycle routes to avoid the po po (hopefully). Any suggestions on things to bring or to watch out for. I'm keeping everything stock for a little while. The only thing I have added onto my bike is a dual boost bottle kit. I have heard the sprocket hub that it comes with is crap and will end up ruining the spokes on your wheel. I know I should bring obvious things with me like water, tubes, patches and spare tools.

Anyways Im curious to hear your guys feed back thanks.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Get a Coleman gas bottle, or other generic type, for spare gas mixture. You can go a long way on a little gas. It might save you some peddling. Take some extra oil too.

Terry

DudeZXT

Jun 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
Good lighting, bright & visible clothing, spare tire tube & bicycle tool kit, cell phone, good amount of water and a survival kit. Notify people of what you're doing and when you'll check-in with them, so they can notify authorities that something may have happened to you if you miss a check-in.

Figure that the trip will take you at least 7.5 hours each way...

Sprockets don't typically ruin spokes ~ chain tensioners do.

Eal111

Oct 20, 2010
Columbia, Maryland
I'm definitely going to listen to your advice DudeZXT. I was planning on getting a light with my next paycheck but now I got to spend money on new wheels because everything on my bike is fine but for some reason the rims are all rusted and there are about 10 spokes broken in the front and back wheels. (I haven't touched this bike in 5 years) Im very excited to get my engine put on and see how this thing rides. If all is well I will definitely ride to Virginia. I'll post up a pic of my bike on another thread as soon as its completed.

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
I think a 155 miles is a very ambitious goal for a first time builder.
Truth is that these bikes by nature aren't very reliable.
Parts like the stock chain tensioner need to be upgraded right off the bat.

You also need extensive knowledge, ability and practical experience to be able work on every part of that engine and bike. Read and learn as much as you can on the forum so you can learn from other people's problems and solutions. Arm yourself mechanically.
Please get yourself comfortable with tightening, adjusting, and troubleshooting using all five senses to figure out what's going on with your bike. Things change after some miles have gone by.
These bikes have a tendency to need a lot of tweaking for a long time even after you feel that everything is "just right".

I think it would benefit you greatly if you take the time to break your motor and bicycle in for a couple hundred miles before embarking on a long journey that may well end in disappointment, maybe even catastrophe. I may sound pessimistic but I know these bikes. I've had only a few break downs but learned that pushing that beast, even a couple of miles really sucks.

Without a doubt you would need to take all the advice everyone has already given you.

How about you? Is your butt gonna be able to handle sitting on that seat for a long ride?
Make sure you are gonna be comfortable with your choice of handgrips, handle bars and seat.

I admire your determination and really want you to succeed.
Just make sure you are a really good "swimmer" before you jump into that vast unknown ocean you are about to skydive into...
TIM

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
It's going to be a great adventure no matter how it turns out. When I first got into Whizzers I've read stories of guys going 400-500 miles on trips across the country. One important thing most of them did was find someone to go with them. You may have the only motorbicycle in town, but maybe you could post on a bulliten board for a fellow traveler. Maybe someone has a moped or small motorcycle that's looking for some excitement. One thing I learned from desert motorcycling is that anything can happen as soon as you're in a remote location. Iron man is cool when it's an organized event with checkpoints and chase vehicles. Well, you get the idea. If you're trying to prove something to yourself, then go for it and document it for us so we can enjoy it also. I would love to take a trip on one of my motorbikes with a couple of friends before I get too old. Good luck and fill your backpack with all the essentials.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Sometimes, being a realist sucks! One side of me is wishing I could join you for the ride and the other side(old) is thinking how crazy you are. The realist is making me lean toward crazy. However, I would never say, "Don't do it." Just be as prepared as you can, enjoy yourself, and be careful. You will be glad you did stuff like this when you get older(if you get older) and you will learn a lot from it. Good luck!

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
First time build, and planning to do 155 miles (one way?) on the maiden voyage? This will not end well.

You'll need to bring:

* Extra gas
* Extra oil
* Spare magneto
* Spare CDI
* Spare carb (or at least a spare float)
* Two spare spark plugs
* Spark plug socket
* Small (1/4" drive) set of sockets and wrench
* Crescent wrench
* Pliers
* 10mm and 13mm combination wrenches
* Set of metric Allen wrenches
* Tire patch kit
* Air pump
* Screwdrivers
* Rags
* Hand cleaner
* Rain gear

Before you go, make sure your head bolts are torqued down properly. Add a set of rear side baskets, or a big front basket, to carry all your gear. Or get a little trailer. Still, I would expect it to break down in some fashion or other on this trip.
Upgrade engine (studs) hardware before instillation and maybe a spare tube.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Nougat hit the nail on the head, Tools and Gear! Bring oil too! At the very least, rip around town a bit to 'break her in' before you venture off on a long haul. Extra master link should be added to your list, for sure. And Loktite your mounts, or at least double-nut them.

Tools, tools, tools! Something will eventually come loose/break!

Best of luck on your endeavor, keep us posted.

gl,
Greg.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
It can be done.

I rode a 68.5/80cc motorbicycle engine kit i got off of ebay from South Florida to Jacksonville Florida(about 400 miles) right after break in. It didn't break down on flat ground. It didn't handle Mountains and hills well after I got it transported to the N.C. mountains though from Jacksonville.

If there is one tool in your toolbox you make sure you don't leave home without..........................................it is...................................................

UNWAVERING FAITH

You have got to believe. Believing is half of being.

Eal111

Oct 20, 2010
Columbia, Maryland
Thanks I appreciate your guys input. So as of now I am having difficulty with my bike a little bit. Everything is pretty much in order I just need to grind off the squared edges of the motor gear so its rounded. My chain keeps popping off and there is the perfect amount of tension. Everything is aligned fine. I decided 2 just buy a new bike. I got a schwinn gateway from target for 100 dollars. A steal in my opinions considering it was supposed to be 180 bucks. I will definitely make sure I pack as much stuff that is on that list nougat, thx alot. I will post pictures of my bike on here as soon as its done and will post pictures and video of my journey. I just got a cool little flip video camera for my birthday and plan 2 use it.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Target sells great bikes for your first build for the china motors. If I'm correct, the Schwinn Gateway is a bike that schwinn made look Retro/Vintage. Good Choice. Good Price. If it is the bike I'm thinking about it has narrow tires(about 1.5 inches wide) which is good so you don't have to worry about the engine chain rubbing on a 2.25 inch wide tire. The back rack that comes with the bike can be made into a cargo carrier for supplies and gear.

Here is a pict. of my first build that I bought the bike from Target for $100.00 that I rode from South Florida to Jacksonville Fl. (400 miles)

The 1st. picture was taken 2 summers ago on the way to the top of Mt. Mitchell on the Blue Ridge Parkway in the N.C. mountains.

The 2nd picture is the second build I made making my way again to the top of Mt. Mitchell this past summer.

Both bikes were built in Florida.

Make note:

Currently I'm back in Florida for the winter riding around on a non-motorized MTB. Both motorized bikes experienced problems and are not in motorized condition.

One thing you might wanna make sure you do..........................................

Go to Home Depot or a hardware store and get 9 lock nuts to fit the bolts on the sprocket bolts on the back wheel. Put these on top of the existing nuts you have now and tighten down.

This should help you from breaking spokes pre-maturely.

The mountains and hills are a ***** for vibration, and if you can keep your back sprocket from loosening, your one step ahead of the game.

Attachments

Eal111

Oct 20, 2010
Columbia, Maryland
Yep the bike your thinking of is the exact bike I have. I saw it @ target and was like OMG this is gonna be a sick bike!! Thanks for the advice and the pic's your bikes look awesome! I just realized your name is bonefish the only reason why I know what an albula vulpes is, is because of a song by animal collective called peacebone and they use this clip where the guy says bonefish in there song. ML Audio 111931; Albula vulpes

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Yea,

Albula vulpes = Scientific name for Bonefish.

Bonefish are highly coveted in the Florida Keys and the Bahamas by Fly Fishermen. They help the economies of both areas by bring in wealth to the area. Lots of Fly Fishermen leave empty handed, some score........

Was in Target this morning and saw the bike again you were talking about. The Schwinn Gateway. I do not know how you scored that bike for $100 bones, the price I saw on it was $179.00

Anyway, great catch. Looking forward to your completed project picts.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I'd run it at least 155 miles before you venture out on a ride like that. You can do it, but you really need to ride it awhile to get to know it's quirks, and truly break in everything. What ever will break will surely break in the first couple hundred miles, best to have it break close to home.

I have ridden many 70 mile rides with no problems, and once properly broken in, and adjusted, I have ridden several hundred miles without a break down or adjustment.

These bikes can be made reliable, I have had two that had well over 1000 trouble free miles with nothing but basic maintenance before I sold them to finance the next build.
One that I have kept tabs on has around 5000 miles with no problems.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Well............... It's Official..............That sale finally reached down here. Walked into Target this morning and they had 3 of them.(Schwinn Gateway) The price on them was $89.88 each. That is a heck of a deal on a new bike with 7 speeds and dual rim brakes and a cargo rack. If you don't know what bike he is talking about. Here it is.................

Mens Schwinn Gateway City Bike - 28" : Target

I haven't built a 68.5/80cc motorbike with this frame, but it looks like the engine will fit in there, and it also has 1.5 inch tires so beginners do not have to worry about the engine chain eating/rubbing on a large 2.25 inch tire.

The price on the website says $199.99 but at our local target the price is $89.99